Increasing the range of my Universal Remote

I am interested in increasing the distance that the IR in my universal remote can reach. I have done a little bit of reading on the subject and I see that remotes tend to use a signal somewhere in the 32KHz to 40KHz range.

I don't think anything above 40KHz would work because the T.V. probably wouldn't accept the signal so I am wondering how I would go about increasing the distance my 32KHz signal can go.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Kimble

The frequency of the IR carrier of your remote has to be accurate for your set. This also applies to the data codes that it sends on the carrier.

The way to increase a TV remote would be to have the IR LED become more intense, or get a remote extender. I think Radio Shack and many of the HiFi stores sell a range extender for IR remotes.

Modifying the remote may not be very easy, or practical. Messing inside will also increase the chance of doing some damage to it, and rendering it not usable. If the IR LED was changed to a stronger one, the drive circuits in the remote would have to be able to drive it. There is also the problem of selecting a higher output compatible IR LED to begin with.

--
Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg       GLG Technologies GLG
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jerry G.

can reach. I have done a little bit of reading on the subject and I see that remotes tend to use a signal somewhere in the 32KHz to 40KHz range.

wouldn't accept the signal so I am wondering how I would go about increasing the distance my 32KHz signal can go.

How far does it work now, how far more do you need it?

Reply to
Gary Tait

In an arcane spellbook written by the priests, labeled 'Posts of sci.electronics.misc' I found a message from John Kimble[ snipped-for-privacy@fastcable.com]:

John,

Please check your line breaks.

There are IR range extender. Probably

Reply to
Chaos Master

remote can reach. I have done a little bit of reading on the subject and I see that remotes tend to use a signal somewhere in the 32KHz to 40KHz range.

wouldn't accept the signal so I am wondering how I would go about increasing the distance my 32KHz signal can go.

If you intend to modify the drive circuitry and IR LED then your "added" circuit needs to be good for 100kHz if it is a newish universal remote as most modern satellite / cable boxes use IRDA in order to support a wireless keyboard. The same applies if you buy a radio remote extender.

If it isn't that expensive a remote then just reduce the series resistor that controls the current through the LED. I have never seen a remote that doesn't use a very straightforward drive circuit for the LED, i.e. a single bipolar transistor with the base driven from some chip and the collector having a series resistor and LED driven straght from the battery. I have seen them where there is no resistor and they rely on the internal resistance of the battery to limit the current but I don't think that any of the universals worth using do it this way.

Reply to
Mjolinor

most suggest boosting the power of the remote, and this is definitely the better solution, but I wanted to metion increasing the sensitivity of the IR Receivers. If you have only 1 or 2 devices, and they're out of warranty, and you have enough courage, and time, and so on, you could do it. On the other hand, I knew it was a stupid idea... forget it!

Reply to
chibitul

remote

that

One idea - replace the output drive transistor with something capable of handling several amps. I'd go for one of the ZETEX series (1053A,

689B) as these seem to have the best Ic max and lowest saturation voltage.

You can also bootstrap several transistors being driven from the original driver circuit, with LED for each transistor and separate base resistors. Replace the LED(s) with a resistor and connect the low end of the resistor to your drive transistors.

IR LEDs are about 1.0V each - so you can drive maybe two on each transistor, in series. Be sure to add appropriate series resistors to prevent LED toasting.

Reply to
Andre

can reach. I have done a little bit of reading on the subject and I see that remotes tend to use a signal somewhere in the 32KHz to 40KHz range.

wouldn't accept the signal so I am wondering how I would go about increasing the distance my 32KHz signal can go.

I have done this several years ago by simple conversion of IR to RF and back to IR. It worked great .... specially in my case where I wanted to control devices behind a closed door of my TV cabinet. Nice thing about the device is that it is a "translator" thus completely IR "code" independent.

Reply to
Ivo Foldyna

remote

that