Importance of mA in AC to DC converter?

I have a device which requires DC input - 9.0VDC 300mA I have an AC/DC adapter with output of 9VDC 600mA Will I damage the device by using this adapter? Or does the device simply take as many mA as it needs?

Reply to
dino

Probably not, as long as the plug has the correct polarity.

Usually yes.

Reply to
Mike S.

Thanks Mike! Hadn't considered polarity and they are different!! Guesss I will have to source another adapter.

Reply to
dino

There is a caveat.

A piece of equipment will draw only as much current as it needs, so hooking it up to something that supplies more current won't affect it.

But, some or a lot of those AC adaptors are designed for a specific unit in mind. They will supply the needed voltage at the needed current. However, if the load is less than specified, the voltage may be higher than the stated voltage. The adaptor is expecting a certain load, and will supply the stated voltage at that load, but if the load is less, the voltage will rise.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Have contacted device manufacturer and ordered a replacement! At least that way I will be sure! Thanks again. Noel.

Reply to
dino

For production, yes -- but if this is one-of-a-kind, just cut the cable somewhere in the middle, swap the wires, and re-splice.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

You should read the above as...

The device needs 300mA The AC/DC adaptor can supply _upto_ 600mA

So it's fine. Actually you could probably run two devices at once. Check the polarity.

It might also be worth checking if the output voltage is regulated or unregulated. It's almost allways possible to use a regulated adaptor if the other specs are correct. However it's not allways wise to use an unregulated adaptor. This is because with an unregulated adaptor the output voltage is only nominal 9V or whatever. At low current the voltage can rise a lot above

9V and that might cause a problem. If in doubt measure the voltage with nothing connected.
Reply to
CWatters