Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Hi all,

We have built a computer controlled C02 laser for cutting and engraving.

Thought some of you may be interested to have a look.

Any comments are welcome.

Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony Burch

Very impressive, Tony. I'm curious what a rig like that cost to set up. Also, on your cake decorations, did you cut the pieces out of a flat piece of plastic and then heat the prongs and bend them in order to get them at a 90-degree angle? Or does your rig cut plastic that thick? What other uses have you found for your laser?

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

Hi Fleemo, thanks for your kind comments. This is a hobby project, so most of the cost is in time. Like most hobby projects, the hours have not been logged. But I can tell you that I paid a couple of thousand Australian dollars for the second-hand laser head, which was a one-off purchased from a private seller.

Yes, the cake decorations were cut from 3mm thick red acrylic sheet. Then I used a pencil butane torch to head the prongs and bend them over. Other uses for the laser have been cutting polystyrene foam, and cutting black acrylic panels for electronics box enclosures. If you have more suggestions for uses, I'm always interested to hear them. Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony Burch

Awesome. 8-)

-- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy

Jon Harrop