high reflection coefficient and phase shift

Hi,

Can somebody explain, how a high reflection coefficient is related to phase shift? Some of the book I have been reading on LNAs say that as long as we have a high reflection coefficient we can phase shift and transform a 50 ohm impedance to short circuit. How does this happen? How would it work if I was to look at a Smith Chart?

Thanks, tsp

Reply to
tsp

A high reflection coefficient means a point near the edge of the Smith chart, a phase shift can move that point round the edge of the chart, so you can get to a short circuit (or open circuit if you wanted) with the appropriate phase shift.

Another way of looking at it is that you choose a phase shift such that the reflected wave arrives 180 degrees out of phase with the original wave, so the voltage cancels and you get zero volts as you would with a genuine short circuit.

Gareth.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Reply to
Gareth