high current pulse?

I'm trying to create a permanent magnet. I have a steel rod. I wrap AWG

6 around the rod twice (so I got a two layer coil) and directly connect it to a 12V DC battery for like a tractor or snowmobile (235 cold cranking amps).

Very little happens. A max of 5A comes out and I can't even make an electromagnet.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get an extremely high amperage pulse? Are there any power supplies that will generate a high amp current? I'm thinking like 80 amps at 12V.

Reply to
Ken Williams

Wire sufficient FGCs in parallel to give you 1 Farad.

Charge to 1kV

Discharge through 10 turn 6" diameter coil made from 1/4" copper rod.

Important .... just before you discharge, phone for the ambulance because the ignorance that you display is certain to kill you during the process.

(Wasn't his advice given here recently?)

Reply to
Geek

--
Well, let's see...

#6 AWG wire has a diameter of about 0.167" and a resistance of about
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields