help on IGBT

Currently I am working on a welding system and I need to use IGBT to repeatedly cut off the welding current. During the trials, I meet some big problems and kept burning IGBT's. The IGBT I am using is CM300HA-12H, the gate driver is M57962L, and a DC-to-DC converter M57145L-01, all manufactured by Powerex. I soldered the circuit exactly as what the data sheet tells me, i.e., the gate drive board BG2B. Though this is for dual mode IGBT's, and what I am using is a single mode IGBT, I used only half of the schematic, i.e., the part for one IGBT. The electronical components are chosen exactly as those specified in CM300HA-12H datasheet. My purpose is to chop the welding current, 80A and above, every 80ms, with 1ms "on" time and 79ms "off" time. After implemented for about 10 second, the IGBT failed, as well as the M57145L. I used a cooling fan and heat sink. So the thermal runout should not be a concern. From the welding machine, the average voltage was 70V, though I had no means to test the transient voltage. Since this is the third IGBT I have burned, I really dare not use it before I can find out the problem maker. Your help will be highly apprecated from the bottom of my heart.

Reply to
Wei Lu

Is it possible the M57145L-01 failed first and that caused the IGBT to fail? Perhaps you could test the M57145L-01 circuit on it's own first?

Reply to
CWatters

It happened before the failure that when I increased the current to

100A, the M57145L stopped working, i.e., the voltages on the output pins became zero. However, when I turned off the power supply for M57145L and reboosted it, everything went back to normal. So I suspect there is some protective mechanizm built in M57145L. It worked all the time before both failed.
Reply to
Wei Lu