Help

This might be off topic, but if you can help I would be grateful.

My neighbours have their TV on until about 3am and the volume loud enough so that I can hear every word. I was wondering if there is something I could buy that could interfere with the TV picture or sound but not damage set. What would be nice would be an effect like when a mobile phone is close to a monitor or TV.

It has be powerful enough to have a range of about 6ft (2m) and go though the floor.

I have asked them to lower the volume at midnight but they have ignored my request.

Thank you for any ideas

Reply to
baccy

Try anything like that and you'll just get yourself in trouble.

I'd ask them to turn it down once more and if that didn't work then I'd
complain to the landlord or, better yet, call the law on them.
Reply to
John Fields

so

could

to a

my

Indeed... The sound of the TV will seem insignificant when compared to the snoring of your cell mate Bubba. ;-)

GtG

Reply to
Grog

--
Not to mention that it would have so much easier to unplug the TV than
it will be to unplug Bubba...

enough

set.

Why not just learn tap dancing and tap your toes to the beat of the TV theme songs?

Reply to
Privacy, please

close

theme

---------------------------

Eventhough there have been no ideas of help from this group, your answers have made me laugh, so thank you for that :o)

Baccy

Reply to
baccy

------------------ Nonsense, don't do RF, just set up some humongus speakers facing down on the floor and tape a microphone to the floor, add an amplifier, then crank them up and let their own sound destroy them a while, they'll figure it out when the sound below is not only LOUD, but also phase-wise indecipherable!!

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

If they are have cable or satellite and are using "line-in" there's not much you can do. If they are on an antenna receiving local broadcasts an old CB radio may be able to knock it out. Just wrap a rubber band around the mic and silence the bastards. Actually since you're only a few feet away it may even work if they're on cable. The legal 4 watt output with a small loaded antenna would do the trick.

When I was in highschool in the mid 80's CB's were still somewhat popular. We had a lot of fun with fox hunts ect. Of course I had to out do my friends and eventually built up a killer setup that I would bring into the house and run on a power supply as a base station. Modified to 120 channels (360 if you count the SSB), tweaked and running power I used to flatten every TV in the neighborhood (even neighbors several doors down with cable!). After complaints from the irate neighbors my parents made sure that it stayed in my car :) I still have the setup....going to have to try it out again one of these days. Oh but wait...the police might come by and take me away and put me in prison with drug dealers and murderers...wooooo! bwahaha!

Reply to
cxTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@doolougrew.com mentioned...

You just build an FM wireless microphone but leave out the microphone and audio amp stage. In other words, it only requires a single transistor and a few parts. You have to figure out which channel you want to block, and adjust the mic for that channel. If you want to jam more than one channel then build another one. This works well for the low VHF channels 2 thru 6, and okay for the high VHF channels 7 thru 13. You have to be really proficient with RF construction to get it to oscillate in the UHF band, channels 14 thru 69. In fact, you might not do very well at all in the higher channels. The transistor typically used for the UHFs is the MPS-H10, PN3563, BF199 or similsr UHF transistor.

If the mic is only a few feet from the TV, it should block the picture completely, only a black screen should be seen. Do a web search for FM wireless microphone or go to Harry Lythall's SM0VPO website for some good examples. Here's the URL for a simple Tx. Leave out the three transistors on the left and connect the lead going to e of Q3 directly to the + 3 to 9V.

And do not, under any circumstances, tell the FCC agents that knock on your door that you got any of this info from us here in the newsgroups. :-)

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com mentioned...

Yeah, but do _not_ talk into the mic, or anywhere close to it. They'll hear who it is, and come after you.

[snip]
--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

Generally, starting a war with neighbours makes things worse rather than better. In a house I used to live in (about 15 years back, when I was just out of school) the upstairs neigbours moved out, to be replaced by a bunch of transient illegal aliens. (It wasn't the best neighbourhood, OK?)

One of them bought a Nintendo system, which he insisted on playing at ear-bleed volume in the small hours of the morning. (He only had one game, so it was always the same tune.....) I used to fantasize about going down into the basement and discharging a large, high-voltage capacitor into his AC line (after turning my AC off, of course). I even had some suitable capacitors at hand, and of course building a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier is pretty easy. I never did it, because I was worried about starting a fire. As my mum used to say, "Life is full of little temptations."

My landlord was pretty good about it--he read them the riot act a couple of times, but he couldn't come every single night. The guys upstairs couldn't or wouldn't understand that the fact they'd saved up their money for this game system didn't give them the right to use it any way they wanted. I suppose they'd never really owned anything much in their lives. (Then the other neighbours started running a car repair business in our [shared] parking area.)

I eventually just moved out.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to