Google groupers: read this before you post here

"Summarize what you're following up.

When you click "Reply" under "show options" to follow up an existing article, Google Groups includes the full article in quotes, with the cursor at the top of the article. Tempting though it is to just start typing your message, please STOP and do two things first. Look at the quoted text and remove parts that are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM of the article and start typing there. Doing this makes it much easier for your readers to get through your post. They'll have a reminder of the relevant text before your comment, but won't have to re-read the entire article. And if your reply appears on a site before the original article does, they'll get the gist of what you're talking about."

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

[meaningless stuff snipped]

John,

As a child, you must have been a bossy little girl.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

As a child, you are a selfish brat.

(go play with yourself, why don't you?)

Reply to
bogax

It's not meaningless. What Google is doing for (to) USENET is something like what delicensing did for CB radio.

And who's acting more like a child now.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

--- Bob,

Actually, I posted that because someone requested it, basically, and because I thought it was a good idea.

You see, a lot of newbies from Google who are still using training wheels top post and don't use context, which makes it confusing to try and follow a thread with any coherence.

You may have noticed that it came from Google, and that for some reason, a lot of Google groupers who post here seem not to have read it and have fallen into some sloppy posting habits.

I see from your rather ungracious post that you bottom post and use context, so I fail to see why you would think it a bad thing for someone to post an excerpt from Google which instructs about posting in ways that make it easier for us all to understand each other.

In short, Bob, f*ck you very much! :-)

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:57:37 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

Good post. I would also say that ANY google posts that are top posted should result in all the regulars filtering the poster of said top posted article. When they realize that no one is responding to them, they MAY look into why eventually.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:33:51 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

OMG! A remark with depth and meaning!

That was a fairly good analogy.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

--
That'll result in the "herding cats" problem where most of us cats
will want to be free to reply to the "aberrant" post, no matter

OK, I'll bite.

"Voluntary" means you did it of your own volition. In other words, if you don't want to self-censor, then you can still say that you're self-censoring, because it's not only voluntary, but you're censoring to your own standards, much as I am doing just now - like, for example, I see go reason to cast insults or aspersions on one who notices the difference (or maybe more accurately, similarity) between herding cats and making USENET posters do anything logical. ;-)

But It's still fun!

Cheers! Rich

--
Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

-snip-

What does this "Geek Code" block mean anyway? It's not some sort of obfuscated C++ code is it?

Reply to
mrdarrett

People will still be complaining about this, and signatures longer than four lines, and posts that are in all caps, long after google either goes out of business or takes over the whole internet. Worrying about it will only make your life shorter and more stressful.

I actually do make quoted replies occasionally, but I do it the good old fashioned way if I think it'll get a rise out of someone.

And when I do I'm rarely disappointed. :)

Reply to
stickyfox

Says the guy whoo doesn't understand that the majority of people accessing Usenet don't see in their newsreaders what you see on Google.

If the reason you post to Usenet is to "get a rise out of someone" you certainly won't be dissapointed.

Reply to
JeffM

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

No - it tells about the properties of one's geekiness, or wannabe-ness thereto: This site:

can instruct you how to build one of your own, and "decode" others'. :-)

(at least that's where I got mine. :-) )

Cheers! Rich

--
Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

Which "good old fashioned way" is that? The context-free, thinking this is some kind of chatroom way?

How about the Go-a-way?

--
Thanks,
Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief,

--
So it pleases you to annoy people?
Reply to

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:28:45 GMT, Apostrophe Police Gave us:

You are even more retarded than google posters are.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Not everyone, just certain people. It's kind of a fringe benefit, really. The people who post only to rant about usenet manners are the ones I go after. People like you who actually contribute intelligently make me feel a little guilty about it. But I think we had this debate in another thread once. :)

Reply to
stickyfox

I agree. No need to post the ENTIRE 200 line original quote.

I don't want to get in to a beer pissing contest of top or bottom posting. Personally I find the posting the original text at the top and the follow up at the bottom is by far the easiest to read. Actually, I find posting the original at the top is far far more common.

Important if the original article expired.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:03:58 GMT, DecaturTxCowboy Gave us:

Good points. Even "interspersed" is OK, just NOT top posting or TOFU!

Roy L. Fuchs