Free stuff at eehomepage.com - a web site for EEs

I'd like to invite members of the group to visit a new web site targeted at electronics engineers, EE educators and students. The URL is eehomepage.com, and its primary subject areas are tools of the trade, continuing education and career development for EEs. At last count, we list almost 60 tools applicable to EEs - all available for immediate download at no cost. Three are over 130 entries in our "references" category. These include textbooks on a variety of subjects, numerous technical magazines (most have free subscriptions for EEs) and tutorials. And our list of organizations for EEs is over two dozen strong.

New items are being added every week to our databases, and we invite other professionals to submit their content as well (there are online submission forms).

I personally own and operate this site, and am a practicing engineer. My hope is to create a resource that you find useful in your daily job. I also invite those who visit the site to drop me an email at admin @ eehomepage.com (no spaces) to let me know what you liked and didn't like about the site.

Thank you! Mike Stanley EE HomePage.com

MikeStanley

Hey! Finally a self-promoter who posts a link

--and the validator doesn't choke on it.

(It doesn't turn handsprings either. "Failed validation, 12 errors")

If you're going to call it SwitcherCAD, at least call it SwitcherCAD III. (Most people call it LTspice; you don't even mention that name.)

I'd think you would *group* the bits of the gEDA suite.

StarOffice in NOT free. If you're going to include *it*, why not mention EAGLE Lite?

Where's KiCAD?

Most engineers aren't necessarily looking for free tools. Concentrating on them makes it a hobbyist site. Good tools? That's the ticket.

It would be a stretch to call a lot of what you list "engineering tools". The site seems pretty pedestrian.

Reply to
JeffM

Very nice stuff. Thanks.

John

Jeff, Thanks for taking time to check out the site. I do appreciate the feedback. Some comments back:

  1. Validator errors are known. Long story - I hate (and love) CSS...
  2. If you enter gEDA into the search page (or click that keywork on any gEDA tool listing), you will get a list of the other related tools.
  3. SwitcherCAD III correction made. Thanks.
  4. With regard to Star Office, you're right. I forgot I actually had a few listed that weren't free. There will be more in the future. I did include Open Office, which I think has a common ancestry.
  5. Didn't know about EAGLE lite or KiCAD. Will look into them. Thanks for the tip.
  6. Sorry about being pedestrian. What can I say - I'm an engineer :-).
  7. Po> >At last count, we list almost 60 tools applicable to EEs
Reply to
MikeStanley

Useful page. But lose the moving graphics, please. Moving graphics DEMAND attention and should only be used when they are actually supposed to be the center of the person's attention.

Reply to
mc

You seem to be a bit confused about licenses. There is a huge difference between freeware (software which you don't have to pay for, depending on your usage) and open source software. The gcc folks in particular will not thank you for describing their tool as "freeware".

Your links should be to the home page of the various projects, not some apparently random page on their site as is the case for some projects.

RSV has not been a serious choice for revision control for something like a decade. Subversion would be a far better choice here.

And as others have said, drop the garish graphics.

Other than that, it looks not bad, and has potential to be useful.

Reply to
David

John and David,

Lose the graphics and check the licensing entries. Check. Now on my list. I hadn't heard of Subversion. Will check it out. Thanks! Interesting comment on where the link should point too. In the past, I've had trouble finding things even when I knew they were on a company's site. What I've been trying to do here is link closer to the page used for downloading the item. Will be interested to hear futher feedback.

I do appreciate the emails and postings. I'm trying to create a site that is rich in quality content and easy to use. The best way I know to do that is create the initial system and let folks make suggestions. That's what we're doing now.

Aga> snipped-for-privacy@eehomepage.com wrote:

Reply to
MikeStanley