Free Parts for school - Los Angeles area

Try Cal Poly Pomona and Don Bosco Technical Institute (626) 940-2038 The ideal for most schools is a quantity of the same part so they can wrap a lesson around it. Pasadena City Collage is starting a robotics class and can use small motors and steppers. Cal Poly Pomona will also take Printers for the motors they contain. Another possibility is the electronics swap meet at Cal Poly Pomona (third Saturday of month) and Chino Hills High School first Sunday starting Sept. 7

Mark Mcmillan

About the user who suggested a few places or the swap meet. Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I have mostly singles of a lot of stuff. Very few items to build class wide lessons around. What I have is best for projects where each student builds a different project.

I thought about the swap meets that go on almost every week around LA but you have to get to them at like 6 AM to get a spot and I live a good

1/2 hour from the nearest one. Now if they started at a civilized hour like 10 AM, I'd be there. I'm just too much of a night owl. Heck, even on a work day I don't get up until 6:30 let alone be anywhere. I wonder how they ended up starting so early?

Besides, I'd just as soon give the stuff away considering the tiny amount you get for it at the swap meet and there's the dragging your butt out of bed at 5 AM for the swap meet. How do the other people do it?

--

Dan Fraser

From Costa Mesa in sunny California
949-631-7535 Cell 714-420-7535

Check out my electronic schematics site at: http://www.schematicsforfree.com
If you are into cars check out www.roadsters.com
Reply to
Dan Fraser

Interestingly enough, Italy has a tax loophole that promotes selling 'thinks' as news items on newsstands. DVDs, collectible figured, that kind of crap.

During my holiday there I however also noticed a series with 'build your own robot'. The parts in that issue seemed to be a plastic bumper and some kind of sensor with a twisted wire pair and a connector pre-attached.

Another series was a more general electronics experimenters kit. I think that 'issue' contained a transistor or 2. This was the kind of kit where components are mounted under springed studs.

The trick is that these are expensive, if you add up all the issues required. But it is nice to see this...

I think the robot will end up like this:

The more general stuff may have been another publisher.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Thanks for the comment on my English being better than most Americans. Part of the benefit of a good Canadian education. I have a lot of good friends here in the old US of A and I have a great job here but my 16 year old daughter, to really learn math and physics, I had to send her to summer school in Vancouver. And having a Canadian education up to grade 8, read better then (she's in grade 12 now) that her over half her peers and basically skipped a grade too.

She challenged her economics exam after 3 days in the senior economics course and passed the final exam. She also passed the high school exit exam first try with a score in the 100th per centile in the English portion. Yet almost 1/2 of her class mates failed. Oh yes, she was sick that year and studied at home on independent study and did both grades

10 and 11 in one year because the course material was so easy. She had no actual classroom instruction at all. Just what she read and I taught her.

Says something about American education, specially here in California.

--
Dan Fraser

From Costa Mesa in sunny California