flasher/ how does it work?

I am looking for a flasher to make a light bulb blink. The 6 volt bulb is connected with a 6 volt transformer. I bought a flasher from hardware store. When it flashes, the bulb is with bright light and dim light. It never completely turns dark. Do any one know: 1. how to make a home-made flasher? 2. How to control the speed of flash? I have cracked open a flasher by accident before. All it has is a piece of brass wrapped with loops of brass wire. The brass piece is then connected with one of the plug leg. any suggestions? Thanks BMB

Reply to
bluemonkeybird

The device uses a switch made from bimetal, e.g. a layer of copper and a layer of iron. As both metals have a different thermal expansion rate, the strip will bend if the temperature changes and open or close a switch.

In the 'cold' situation the switch is open and the current flows through the lamp and through the resistor which heats the bimetal switch. The switch closes, bridging the resistor. Now the lamp burns bright. The switch is not heated anymore (the resistor is shorted), cools, opens and the whole process starts again.

I suppose you can make something like this yourself. For the bimetal switch, you may modify an old thermostat.(not of a fridges, they use a liquid filled tube.)

You can use a fridge thermostat as a whole, simply heat the sensor tube with a resistor.

Succes, Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com mentioned...

gif

But it has to be 6VDC, not AC. The above website has other interesting ways to flash lights.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###