Flakey phone battery fix ? Anyone ?

Hi group ,

Got one of those flakey phone batteries . Works on standby and cuts out about 5 seconds into a call , on a full charge . Phone reads "full" on standby .

Its a NiMH Ericsson 4.8V 650mAh . If I could get into the thing I could replace the cells, but its sealed up too well :(

Measures 0.82 ohms pack series resistance on a 1A load .

Is this beyond repair, or do you reckon its worth building a cycler and trying 10 or so cycles to see if it revives ?

This is an old phone. Finding a new replacement for the GA628 is proving difficult .

-Andre

Reply to
Andre

Andre...... Maybe it is time for a new cell phone.....? You can get a new no frills phone (with a new battery) "free" if you sign up for new service.... or for about $50 or so without new service...... about the cost... or less... of a new battery or screwing around trying to rebuild the old battery. If your phone is OLD, even the new no frills phones will be a big step up.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

Sofie

This is the standard example of a worn battery pack that will not retain the charge any more.

Using an old phone battery will most likely give you the same results. You should replace the battery pack with a new one. After about 2 to

3 years, and or about 1000 charge cycles, these batteries wear down, and do not retain their charge. They have a limited life span. Many of the stores that sell telephone accessories will have the proper replacement battery pack for your phone.

Jerry Greenberg

testing_h@yahoo.com (Andre) wrote in message
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jerry Greenberg

agreed. i have come to believe that there is a genuine business opportunity here: rebuilding "custom" battery packs. my brother is shopping for a new drill because his AEG ($$) batteries are no longer avail.

he would pay 50-100% of a new DeWalt drill/battery set for two new batteries. has anyone come accross this type of offering on the Web? you just hack open the spent pack, make a mold, install new batteries, ship, control inventory of molds. build business, sell, move on. it may be beat the average rcm endeavor for both interest and "roi". --Loren

p.s, don't wait too, long, i may convince myself to get serious about this.

Stirling.

Brilliant.

Reply to
lcoe

I've had good luck with those sorts of plastic assemblies by tapping them with a hammer, or rubber mallet before attempting to open the seams...a little judicious tapping pops the welds for a significant part of the seem and makes it easier to get a tool in to separate the rest. I've had some assemblies pop apart that way without any prying.

jak

Stirling.

------

Brilliant.

Reply to
jakdedert

Interesting . Thanks ! :)

Will try that .

-Andre

Reply to
Andre

I could rebuild it . I got the old (deader than snot) pack apart (4.8V

1000mAh) . Its fairly standard, should be feasible to rebuild it with all the old connectors and thermal protector .

Thanks whoever suggested the "hammer" trick to pop the seams . :) Worked well .

-Andre

Reply to
Andre

I found some compatible cells :) will try a rebuild .

-Andre

for all your solar power needs

Reply to
Andre

Stirling.

Brilliant.

Do you have any idea what a mold cost? multiply that for each battery type, and you'll find it isn't a cheap concept. On the other hand, if you could buy the used molds when a part is discontinued, it might be possible. I try to only buy tools that use screws to hold the battery packs together.

--
Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida