Epoxy

Curious, I have been using epoxies for more than 40 years and have read many articles on epoxies in for instance Adhesives and Sealants magazine, and I have never once seen or heard of any epoxy whose properties do not depend on mix ratio; although in many cases exact mix ratio is not critical.

"Epoxy" is not an adhesive, it is a family of adhesives that includes many different specific chemistries. All high strength epoxies are multi-functional, that is, they are a blend of two or more of the basic epoxy chemistries. In any critical application it is foolish not to discuss your specific requirements with one or more epoxy formulators to obtain a blend closely optimized to your needs, and then to qualify the materials and application process with testing. Master Bond is one supplier of specialty epoxies with good tech support.

On the other hand, for hobby applications, you can get good variation in hardness with mix ratio with any nominally 5:1 ratio marine epoxy. These epoxies are normally available with slow or fast hardeners in order to allow reasonable working time in cool (use fast hardener) to hot (use slow hardener) conditions. More hardener results in more flexibility with lower strength and hardness. I mostly use "The West System" with pump dispensers for easy measurement - one stroke of each is 5:1, for small amounts I count drops. With the addition of fumed silica (available from the same marine suppliers as the epoxy) it can be thickened into a non-running paste very easily, or with the addition of fine wood dust as a filler you can make epoxy foam.

BTW, by far the most common reason for lower than normal strength epoxy is inadequate mixing, especially in the filled, pasty formulations. It is best to consider the point where the epoxy appears to be completely mixed to be the half way point in mixing. If you actually measure the strength or hardness of the cured epoxy the additional mixing will almost always result in better and more consistent properties.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

for epoxies available over the counter ( not commercial specialty) most are two part resin based, to be mixed like a liquid initially

this appeals to small , unique and one time fixes.

thin applications are ideal, as most ofthese areNOT meant to be filler types, unless specificcaly stated

thin narrow space between parts creates incredible strength when properly epoxied, never 'rely' on the epoxy to become strong like the materials you are joining

except someepoxy may be actualy stronger,, then you just end up breakin the fixed part in some other place when it is used badly agaon!

filled and putty type epoxies , granted they do not 'run' when applied. technically diferent formulations

silicone sealants when cured wil offer high strength when used correctly ( thin, well prepared)

acrylic based fillers provide similar opportuinites.

polymers come in many shades of performance and coloration,

dont get hung upon 'the same old thing', the chemists are busy as we sit on asses typing ...................................

Reply to
HapticZ

Two. Epoxy, by definition is a two part mix.

Reply to
The Last Mimsy

You're talking about different things. Epoxy is a two part mix when you buy it, but that doesn't mean that each part is not made of multiple compounds mixed inmanufacture.

Reply to
James Sweet

Loctite Corp also has a slew of stuff .

Devcon Plastic Welder or Stabilit Express are methacrylates that are much harder and stronger than the hardware store epoxies and cheap enough to try.

GG

Reply to
HapticZ

And the winner is...

Silver conductive epoxy:

Conductive wasn't a requirement, but it's the toughest in my small battery of tests.

Thanks to all who contributed.

FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester