DSL phone line

We just switched over to DSL from modem on home computers. Put DSL filters on the handsets in the house and also on the cord going to the computer modems. When we try to receive faxes only one of the computers will even attempt to "answer" the call. Is it possible that the two middle wires that we are using on the wires running through the house are reversed on the non-functioning modem? Both computers could previously do this. The suspect line can operate a telephone no problem. Seems odd to work on one, but not the other. The junction box on the exterior of the house has red to red and green to green, haven't yet figured out which connection goes to which outlet. Should I randomly try reversing some wires or does it even matter?

Reply to
Stumpy

You've been using Usenet long enough

that you should know how (and when) to cross-post:
*-*-*-marked-as-Read-in-ALL-*-groups+Newsgroups.line

Reply to
JeffM

I thought cross-posting was the ultimate sin. Multi-posting was the better alternative!

Reply to
Stumpy

Hitting more than one newsgroup when there is rarely any need to do so is the ultimate sin.

If there really is a reason to hit more than none newsgroup at a time, and there usually isn't, then there is nothing to do but cross-post.

There is absolutely no reason to multiple post.

It causes more resources to be used, in the transmission of the message and in the storage at every newsserver. A cross-posted message is only one message, a multiple posted message is however many newsgroups one posts to.

It causes disjointed discussion. For those who actually see the message in multiple newsgroups, which one should they answer it in? But then usually different groups see the message in each newsgroup, so it's not one total discussion, but the same discussion in different places. So the same answers get repeated, since a poster in newsgroup A won't see that someone has already posted such a reply to newsgroup B. And the neat thing about newsgroup discussions is that someone says something, and that causes someone to add something or even make a big leap based on a previous reply. But, with multiple posting that doesn't happen since the posters don't see the replies from other newsgroups.

Now, once again there is very little reason to cross-post. The people multiple posting are generally clueless, so they carpet bomb the newsgroups rather than figure out the most appropriate one, or at least posting to one and then trying a different one if they don't get a response in the first one.

Cross-posters are usually equally clueless, but at least their damage isn't as bad as the multiple poster.

You've made the mistake of reading "cross-posting is bad" as meaning that method is wrong rather than the results.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Got it!

The system did work for me. I asked a question in 2 places and learned something in both. In S.E.basics I found out that the wires in the fone line can be reversed with no repercussions. It saved me a climb up a ladder for my next troubleshooting step and I appreciate that. And in S.E.misc I learned that cross-posting may be acceptable in some circumstances.

Reply to
Stumpy

Not when the subject is on-topic for all the groups in question, in which case it's the preferred method.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Which you would also have found out with cross-posting, PLUS anyone else responding here would have seen it TOO.

Usenet is supposed to be for everyone's advantage not just your own.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore