Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart

--
I agree.

Plus, you won't have the Zener tempco and delta VZ/delta IZ (small
though it might be since the change in IZ will only be caused by the
change in the transistor's Ib as the load current goes from 0mA to
200mA) to contend with.  And, a BIG plus for the LDO, you won't be
dissipating the power the Zener will be _all the time_ , regardless of
the load current.
Reply to
John Fields

Any common 5.6V 500mW Zener will have its Zener voltage specified at a
particular test current; 20mA.  This current is what _must_ flow through
the Zener in order for the reverse voltage it drops to fall within the
bounds specified.  40mA will not only waste 20mA, it could cause the
Zener voltage to be out of spec. The beta of the transistor (more
properly the alpha) is almost unimportant in this case since the base
current will be very small compared to the collector/emitter current and
its change will have very little impact on the Zener current from
no-load to full-load.
Reply to
John Fields

--
The meaning was adequately clear; JW (to his credit) just likes to play,
sometimes.

Yes. It's been fun. I love this groups sense of humor.

And I also like to play. See what I mean? I didn't spell out what I meant or add an emoticon, and *my* meaning wasn't clear.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

I glanced at a generic curve. Not even sure where the Zener specs (if any) *are* on this box.

Yes, Beta's just for rule of thumb stuff. Base current is negligible which is the idea of the pass trans, anyway. It allows a practical resistor for such a small drop, whereas not using it forces the resistor to handle most of the current and you know...

--
Best Regards,
Mike

I read in sci.electronics.design that Active8 wrote (in ) about 'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Tue, 30 Dec

2003:

Doesn't ALT0223 on the numeric keypad, with Num Lock on, work? ßßß

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

ß yeah. Chaos uses ctrl+alt+m for mu, etc. and that didn't work but rang a bell.

I checked unicode and character map and it says the unicode number is 03B0 or 944

?
Reply to
Active8

I read in sci.electronics.design that Active8 wrote (in ) about 'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Tue, 30 Dec

2003:

No, this is "Windows 'extended ASCII' characters", not Unicode and 0223 works for any font that contains the character.

There are two different series; one of the form 'ALT1nn'and 'ALT2nn', which are in no logical order and the other in the series ALT0128 (which is ?, the Euro symbol) to ALT0255 (which is ÿ). Not all of the characters will show on the screen.

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

--
Not by choice, I suspect. ;-)
Reply to

--
You ß believe it!

On mine, with NUMLOCK off, ALT 225 = ß, and  ALT  223 = ¯

                    while ALT 0225 = á  and  ALT 0223 = ß

         with NUMLOCK on, ALT  225 = ß  and  ALT  223 = ¯

                    while ALT 0225 = á  and  ALT 0223 = ß
Reply to
John Fields

Wow! That's a BIG difference ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Isn't that too practical and simple?

Bob

snipped-for-privacy@neti.saber.net (Wade Hassler) wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

OK it does work in note tab lite regardless of font. What I meant was that if I'm looking up the code in character map, it changes for different fonts. It *does* say Unicode, also.

So I don't have an extended ascii chart. ok. Nothing on MSDN CD. As usual, google rules when you know what to look for.

scii.htm

says 225 is beta

so does this:

are we having fun yet?

ok 225 is beta in the alt2nn series and 223 is a bar. alt0223 is a box.

That second link came from

which has a lot of possibly useful links.

Thanks John,

--
Best Regards,
Mike

message news:...

Uh, yeah. I'm kicking myself in the ass. I'm the type who looks for simple elegant solutions like moveing the table closer to the handicapped person rather than try to move the heavy person to the table and I didn't think of the obvious.

Ouch.

Nice to meet you , Wade! :)

--
Best Regards,
Mike

message news:...

Too easy Wade!....But still an interesting thread!

Reply to
Ross Mac
&szlig

;)

ß is 223 decimal in the latin1 supplement...

Robert Monsen

I read in sci.electronics.design that Active8 wrote (in ) about 'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Tue, 30 Dec

2003:

No. Both of your links give a DIFFERENT 'extended ASCII' series, not the Windows one. There is no standard for 'extended ASCII', so there are several different versions around.

I found the Windows list in an early WordPerfect manual. But you can compile your own by just typing in the codes and noting the result.

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields wrote (in ) about 'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Tue, 30 Dec 2003:

You need Num Lock on with some versions of Windows but with others it can be on or off. ON always works, AFAIK.

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

Well, I started out in this or another thread with a RF modulator that requires 4.75 to 5.25VDC, probably because it would be off freq if the supply V got out of tolerance. I talked about the weird connector, someone said it's a Belling Lee connector, AKA Euro or PAL connector. Now I now what it is, and I bot an adapter at Rat Shack for four bucks. But I wanted something simple that I could solder onto the pins of the RF modulator, I finally resolved the problem by using a 6V unregulated wall wart, which is more like 7 or 8V, and a 5.1V zener, and 39 ohm resistor as a shunt regulator. It works just fine. But I still wanted a way to drop a single volt, with reasonable regulation, better than a 1N4003 diode which varies by up to a quarter volt. With a 1N4003 the voltage could be as high as 5.3 or 5.4V.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Watson A. Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover wrote (in ) about 'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Wed, 31 Dec 2003:

That's a coaxial connector, a bit like a phono plug but with a smaller centre pin. Is that what you have?

I'd forget those descriptions if I were you. Certainly the Belling connector has very little indeed to do with PAL. It is the subject of an IEC standard - IEC 60169-2.