Does anyone make an "alarm" that tells when something is powered on/off?

Does anyone make an "alarm" that tells when something is powered on/off?

I'm picturing something you plug an appliance into, that will sense the load. When the appliance is turned on or off, it sends a UHF-wireless chirp to a little beeper you can take around the house.

Something that will tell me when the laundry is done :)

Background: i have a gas dryer, which only requires a normal 120V outlet.

Reply to
Scuch

This is how I do it. It announces over whole house audio.

More complicated than what you're asking for but hopefully it's helpful.

--
Reg
Reply to

This depends on how much digging/hacking you are comfortable with...

I have added optically-isolated sensors in my Dishwasher and Dryer that signal my home automation system when they are on. A little logic alerts me to "Open the dishwasher to dry, please", etc.

But that may be much more than you want/need, and it reasonable only as a part of a larger system.

I understand (Sorry can't point to one immediately) that there are available "Plug-Thru" sensors that signal when a device is on. (Someone??)

You could hack an X-10 remote to turn on a circuit with a light/buzzer etc. plugged in.

I don't know of an off-the-shelf transmitter to a 'wearable' alert receiver... but I bet some else does...

Regards, Terry K> Does anyone make an "alarm" that tells when something is powered on/off?

Reply to
terry

A better solution would be an AC relay with a coil voltage that matched the motor in the dryer. Marlin P Jone & Associates

has one 24 to 140volts
and another for 180 to 280 volts

At $3.95US each, it's a cheap interface.

Use the output contacts to control the X10 PowerFlash or whatever.

John

Reply to
John

Yeppp!!! Known as a Current Operated Switch. Neilsen-Kuljian makes a line of switches with sensitivities from 1 amp to several hundred amps. Some have both NO and NC switches in the same unit, with adjustable trip points for each set of contacts. They're made for On/Off/Overload conditions on motor circuits. Neilsen-Kuljian doesn't appear to have a web presence, but I found a vendor at

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

I did. Hooked a current transformer to my water heater. Beeps when the heater turns on and again when it shuts off. Current transformer powers the circuit - no separate supply. Also flashes an LED while the heater is sucking power.

default