Do they make "ALL IN ONE" stereo units...?

Do they make any kind of stereo with everything in one compact unit? ie... unit, speakers etc....

Lets say you had a special need for this, such as a boat... motorcycle, truck etc.... where it just wouldn't be "practical" to have external speakers

Do units like I am describing above exist?

Thanks in advance

Leesa (I)

Reply to
Leesa_Tay

Uhhh... yeah.... it's called a boom box.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

Visit any electronics "big box" store (Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's) and you'll see many many offerings.

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net

I would have put the "electronics" in quotes there. Because the question is a consumer one, or maybe at the most belongs in an audio newsgroup.

But, "electronics" has come to mean something quite different in the eyes of the general public, it refers to their electronic equipment rather than what's inside, and of course this newsgroup is not about that meaning of "electronics". If they were asking about the insides, it would fit, but they are asking about buying a piece of consumer electronic equipment, and that belongs elsewhere.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Yup. The OP Message-ID: (Show of hands: Who didn't see THAT coming?)

should determine more apt groups when posting

...and, after over 500 Usenet posts,

should have learned

how NOT to MULTI-POST

JeffM

Or ghetto blaster.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Thanks for all of your help... but I am NOT talking about a BOOMBOX... or a Ghetto Blaster. They are portable music devices that you can carry around with you.

What I am talking about is a unit... with a CD+AM/FM Stereo etc... in which there are speakers built-in... and it can also be hooked up to a external antenna.

I'm not talking about a boombox which has like 8 D batteries and an AC cord.. Nothing like that.

I want a unit that will run off the 13v DC power from the car or truck... This unit would have speakers built in.... so you wouldn't have to run wires etc...

I cannot believe that they don't make all in one units for mobile use... that have built-in speakers.

Thanks again.

LEESA (I)

Reply to
Leesa_Tay

Same thing. Some of them have 13vdc inputs, too.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

A 'ghetto-blaster'? (AKA portable sterio)

yup, I owned two once, - these ones had detachable speakers, and saw one recently saw one in that music-video where Madonna rips off the some Abba tune, big speakers and blingking (sic) lights.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

I did a modification to mine to allow an external antenna,

I did a mod for external DC source too. 8 D cells is close enough to 13.5V that the unit can be wired to the car's power instead of the batteries.

they exist. look harder.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

So, instead of a 'boom box', (which is portable, can run off 12 v in your car or boat, can come without the battery option and can have an antenna plugged into the back instead of the old school telescoping antenna's), you want the same things, but smaller?? You can get them smaller too.. In fact you can even get portable cd players that have all those features too...

What do you want that is different from the specs above??

Reply to
trak0r

OK... I will try to explain. Like a CB radio... or a scanner, you can get these devices that have a built-in speaker, and you attach an external antenna to them and you are ready to go.

I guess what I am wondering about are the CD-FM players that are made for auto use... Almost any of these I've seen, you have to attach external speakers with them. Why don't any (AUTO) units come with built-in speakers? So that way you could mount it under the dash of the car or truck or boat etc... without having to fuss over hooking up speakers.

Thanks

Leesa

Reply to
Leesa_Tay

In ancient times, when car radios only did mono AM, and cars were designed so that you could hang a radio under the dash, I think some car radios did come with built-in speakers.

However, a modern car dashboard and console has the radio deeply embedded in the structure, so the sound from a built-in speaker would be somewhat muffled. Also, most users will expect stereo sound, and the speakers must be fairly well separated to provide that - not possible with an integral speaker.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Just seen one, when looking for a car, it had 'everything' 200W amplifier, 14" speakers to match (why?), input 12V DC, nicely included in one compact VW Beetle, Just have to add carrying handle.

HTH

Stanislaw.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto