display has no hard wire connections.

There are face plate displays on car audio ( e.g.. CD players ) that when you disassemble the faceplate there are no hard wire connections between the display and the printed circuit board. I don't know what you call it but the bottom of the display has like two rubber strips that press against dozens of carbon points on the printed circuit board, this is how the display operates.

You have a similar display setup on Fluke 77 meters ( I don't know about other Fluke Meters ). How exactly does this rubber strips ( if they are rubber strips ? ) connecting to carbon points work? What are the strips called ? What is this type of connection called.

Can you clean the display rubber strips with rubbing alcohol if only part of the display works. Physically pressing on the display produces different effects on the display.

Your help appreciated.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

The rubber strips have embedded conductors crossing them. I have been successful cleaning them, but have also had failures.

--
John E. Todd         jtodd@island.net

See this page for how they are made....

Click the links on the left to see slightly different versions.

Quote: FUJIPOLY ZEBRA® connectors have alternating layers of conductive carbon-filled and non-conductive silicone rubber. They make reliable connections by being deflected between contacting surfaces. ZEBRA connectors are used for connecting any LCD from small displays for watches to large area displays for instruments. Table A shows the different types of ZEBRA connectors available. Table C shows performance characteristics. end quote:

Colin

Reply to
CWatters