Digital recorder to CD

Hi, I have a Casio digital recorder, and downloads the files to the PC. Then I convert the file to standard Windows Wav. So far everything is fine, and the sound is good, but when I then write it to CD, it sounds awful. I tried all I can think of, with no better results. I can only think that the low sampling rate of 8000Hz interferes with the CD sampling. Any solution please? I was thinking of taking the audio out from the sound card, which sounds good, to the mic in of another sound card, and re-record at a better sampling rate. Problemn is that it is apparently not possible to run two sound cards simultaneously. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you Johan Smit

Reply to
Johan Smit

Whereas On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 04:45:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@lantic.net (Johan Smit) scribbled: , I thus relpy:

How about play from the recorder to the souncard?

--
Gary J. Tait .  Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat
Reply to

Hi, Thank you, no. The audio output has a lot of hiss, which is absent if the file is loaded to the PC. Regards Johan Smit

Reply to
Johan Smit

In what way does it sound awful ?

It could be related to the sampling rate and the conversion done on the way when the sound gets to CD. The CD is sampled at 44.1 kHz sample rate. If you convert the files you have with a good file converter to ones with 44.1 kHz sample rate, you should be able to get as good sound to the CD as those files give on playback.

One possible solution, but somewhat hard I think. And with many soudncard with right settings you should be able to do this with one soundcard only.

But generally what you can do with soundcard in this way, you can do with software. Try some good sample editing software how well it does the sample rate conversion. And do some filtering if needed.

The PC hardware itself does not limit the number of soundcards you can use. The soundcard drivers and Windows sound system architecture could be the reson for this...

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

Very hard to describe, sounds like intermodulation between frequencies.

What I have done now is to convert to 44.1Khz immediately. It still sounds awful then. Then low pass filter at 4 Khz. All the extra noises are gone then. The sound quality is then not hi-fi, but the best I can get it. At

8Khz sampling rate, no more than 4Khz can be faithfully reproduced if I remember correctly. NyQuist? I forget, it has been years. Thanks for the help. Regards Johan Smit
Reply to
Johan Smit

You could always set up a Linux box and run cddarec.

Reply to
JeffM