Design for infrared light healer (from Wired) published anywhere?

I just wondered if there have been any plans published for an infrared LED light healer such as is used by the military and NASA, and described in this Wired magazine article:

The principle looks pretty simple, you have one or more high output LED's flashing at the 680-, 730- and 880-nanometer wavelength. Seems like something that could be put together in kit form and sold for five or ten bucks (unless those LED's are really expensive). So my question is, does anyone know of available plans (or a kit) for something like this?

Please reply in the group; the e-mail address is NOT valid. Thanks.

Reply to
nobody

My first question would not be how to build it, but where is a peer-reviewed double-blind trial that shows positive benefits.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nospamaccepted.no mentioned...

Treating the retina only needs a few LEDs, but treating a larger area such as a patch of skin would require many, many LEDs, making it expensive.

Seems that it would be easier to put a filter in front of sunlight and expose the body to that filtered light. The filter would remove the UV and light wavelengths to keep the patient from getting sunburned and overheated. The light is free, a lot cheaper than IR LEDs.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

The article said that such studies had already been done. Even so, plain old sunlight (in moderate doses) has been used for millenia to help heal patients. Seems to me that these gizmos are just a way to bring a facsimile of sunlight inside.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

LED

LED's

ten

does

Failing being able to use the sun - try an array of tungsten filament light bulbs. They push out more IR than anything else. Underun them if you want less light but I wouldn't bother.

Reply to
Fred

From what I perceive, that if you were to make an array of IR LED's such that are used on TV remotes, this will work for you. I am under the impression that a simple DC source should do it. You would have to use the proper value series resistor to each LED to match to the feed voltage. This should be very simple to do. It is also speculated that most any IR light source should work for this. In the past it has been said that the rays from the sun can heal many things.

If you do a search under this topic, hundreds of sites about this will show up. They are mostly all referring to credible references.

As for the eyes, I would not start pointing light sources of any kind directly in to them without seriously knowing the safety factors involved and the effect of the particular wavelength characteristics, with the particular light source. You may end up doing more damage than not.

The links below look interesting.

One thing I noticed, I used to have a troublesome wart on my hand. One time I was playing around with a laser pointer. I was shining it at the wart for a while and being fascinated about how the light was reflecting from it. About a week later, it went away! I have no idea if this was from the laser pointer, or from the medication that I put on it... Next time, if it returns, I will have to try it again without the medication.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg       GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage         http://www.zoom-one.com
Electronics        http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,60786,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

The principle looks pretty simple, you have one or more high output LED's
flashing at the 680-, 730- and 880-nanometer wavelength.  Seems like
something that could be put together in kit form and sold for five or ten
bucks (unless those LED's are really expensive).  So my question is, does
anyone know of available plans (or a kit) for something like this?

Please reply in the group; the e-mail address is NOT valid.  Thanks.
Reply to
Jerry G.

time

for

If it returns, is it really healed?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Dontcha know the home remedy for warts? You cut a notch in a stick and rub it on the wart, and bury it. This works, because much of the healing is psychosomatic.

A guy I knew had a wart on his knee, so he went to the college's health center and they doused it with liquid nitrogen and put a bandage over it. A few days later, the blister broke, and the liquid dribbled down his leg, and you could see where it ran by the tiny new warts growing along its path. :-(

Skip down and read the one that all in CAPITALS.

Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

I remember a distant past where in many houshold a so called "InfraPhil" lamp was present, basically a deep red incandescent spotlight made by Philips. Was supposed to do good with backaches and such.

I guess one is getting really old if inventions are crossing one's path for the second time....

--
 - René
Reply to

The article says nothing about a double blind test with placebo on humans.

Sounds like another miracle bracelet or magnetic therapy product to me!

Paul

Wats> In article ,

Reply to
pkh

Sheesh! I'm surprised moon rock dust and bat essence wasn't suggested as a viable treatment. :)

Reply to
Mark Jones

The articles "other links" at the bottom did not raise my expectations of science accuracy from this publication.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Scientific Frontiers (the Nova-like show on PBS by Scientific American) recently showed using Lasers to remove tattoos. There was little to no pain experience by the patient so I would think that a focused LED may be able to provide similar results. It also proved useful for removing "gang branding". The simple procedures were begin done in Boston.

I wasn't able to find links to what I think I saw (maybe it was a different show) but How Stuff Works as quick blurb about it here.

LED

peer-reviewed

Reply to
ChronoFish

how bout a torch?

Yes thats what I was thinking. Also there was the ultra violet lamp, using a mercury discharge tube. Theyre good for sterilising stuff, and no-one wants them. Just beware the hopelessly inadequate goggles.

BTW, glacial acetic acid is the best thing for warts.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I watched Sci Am Frontiers the other night and they had none other than Paul Horowitz, of AoE fame, plugging their SETI project where they (Hahvahd) are looking for a planet with life.

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

As a Canadian I feel that this must be said. In the immortal words of Red Green........

"Duct Tape...is there anything it cant do?"

Kim

Reply to
Neil

I have an electric heating pad that works quite well.

I'd guess that an LED would be easier for applying IR to a retina, although this isn't something I'd play around with without medical supervision. The principles are probably similar. Warming an area up increases local blood flow and speeds healing.

note to spammers:  a Washington State resident
Ban the bomb.  Save the world for conventional warfare.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Philips sells similar things for 40 years under the name Infraphil, basically a lamp with a filter.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

A much longer wavelength than near-IR LEDs as well, afair.

--
Tony Williams. Change "nospam" to "ledelec" to email.
Reply to

OTOH, the wavelengths they mention in the article are on the short side for typical IR LEDs, so rather close to visible.

Is that Philips light the same thing they used to put in motel bathrooms, greasy spoons, chicken incubators etc. ?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany