decoding transformer connections

I have a beefy mains transformer from a US made psu. The mains i/p voltages were slider-switch selectable 110/240. As I now only have the xformer not the switches I'd like if possible to know how to wire it up for mains 240 V use.

There are 2 primary winding and I can only measure their DC resistance. There are 5 prim connections altogether:-

Winding 1, A-B measure 3 ohms

Winding 2. C-D-E measure 2.8 and 0.9 respectively.

The slider switches used to hook these two winding in some way for 240V as I know it used to work ok. Should I just go for max resistance, feed in on A and E and just link B-C? It may be the wrong way around of course (ie feed in on A-C and link B-E) :-O Any way to tell beforehand - a pity to destroy it experimenting.

Help! Thanks

Reply to
dave

were

I would hook Line1 to A Connect B to C connect Line2 to E

where Line1 and Line2 are the 240V mains

Turn things on, and measure the secondary voltage ( AC volts) with the transformer unloaded.

By moving Line2 from E to D, you should be able to raise the output voltage by about 10%...

(work with one hand in your pocket...)

MikeM

Reply to
MikeM

One other suggestion:

Hook a 100W 240V lamp in series with either line for initial testing. If you accidently connect a low impedance (dead short?) across the line downstream of the lamp, the worst that will happen is that the lamp will light full brilliance.

With the transformer unloaded, the primary current in the transformer should be low enough that the lamp will not light, the drop across the lamp will only a few volts, and voltage across the primary should be most of 240V.

MikeM

Reply to
MikeM