Controlling 16 RC servo motors simultaneously

Is there any C code for ATMEL's AVR micro controllers to read servo motor
position data from a serialport and control 16 RC servo motors
simultaneously?

Re: Controlling 16 RC servo motors simultaneously

There is plenty of code out there for 8 channels. Why not use two AVRs?

Peter

---
Re: Controlling 16 RC servo motors simultaneously
Thank you for the idea. Would you tell me where can I find C code for AVR to
drive 8 RC sermo motors?

Re: Controlling 16 RC servo motors simultaneously

Most AVRs include 8 A/D channels for reading the servo pos.  However,
you would need external D/A to drive the motors.  Your C codes depend
on your external hardware.

Re: Controlling 16 RC servo motors simultaneously

Actually you need digital signals to drive the RD servo. No need for a D/A at
all.

SioL

Re: Controlling 16 RC servo motors simultaneously

No, the servo-motors are controlled by a pulse train.  You feed
them a stream of pulses, where each pulse is between 1 and 2 ms
wide, and the pulses repeat with about a 20ms period.

You don't need external hardware.  You just need to generate
digital pulses -- 5V logic levels should work fine.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  After this, I'm going
                                  at               to BURN some RUBBER!!

Have a look at the Dontronics web site at
http://www.dontronics.com/8515.html.
This example is an 8 channel RC servo driver but it's written in assembler.
A little work would get that translated into C.

Peter

---
Re: Controlling 16 RC servo motors simultaneously

assembler.

It's easily extensible to 16 channels as is.
The servo positions are stored as data in ram, and there are interrupt
driven serial routines in the same package, so in the main loop it would be
trivial to parse out some language like S112%8 and stick the appropriate
value in ram for the next update.

Re: Controlling 16 RC servo motors simultaneously
The only one's I know of is using one of the  www.newmicros.com ISOPOD's or
ServoPod's.
They run upwards of 23 servos no problem. They have code examples too. You
use the serial port to program and you can send commands to it if you
program it so.

You could also do it using some of the AWC
http://www.al-williams.com/pak8.htm
PAK-8 pulse out co-processors too.

Re: Controlling 16 RC servo motors simultaneously
Have you tried asking this as www.avrfreaks.net?

Re: Controlling 16 RC servo motors simultaneously
Assembler code for controlling 16 servo's from an Atmel controller is
available at: http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200106/16csscnt.htm

Anton

"RC servo" <RC Servo> schreef in bericht