connector advice

Hello,

I am looking for a connector that will work like a d-sub (9 pin) but does not have quite as tight a connection. I have a rather unique application for it. I have a box whose inner temperature and humidity I need to be able to control. The temperature and humidity controls funnel through the connector. The entire box sits on a base with another connector of the opposite gender. This way, the temperature and humidity controls can be connected to the power supply (through the base) without a lot of loose wires. Loose wires create several problems, the worst being that they can block the beam of light that we use to make measurements of our samples.

I was originally planning on using d-sub 9 connectors, but their tight connection makes removing the box from the base a challenge. Furthermore, since the box is removed from and put back on the base several times a day, I'm worried that the d-subs will break quickly. Can anyone recommend any items that will solve these problems? I need something about as small as a d-sub, and it must be mountable. I only need 6 pins, not 9.

Thanks, Ian Hlavacek snipped-for-privacy@rice.edu

Reply to
Ian

Have you considered springs? The base has 6 springs...the bottom of the box has a piece of pc board with an array of (large) squares matching the springs. Make the box rectangular; put the pc board on one bottom corner. The base has a rim so that the box just fits inside...and cannot make contact with the springs in any way other than correctly. webpa

Reply to
WEBPA

with another connector of the

Another poster suggested using an array of springs to make contact with pads on a PCB. Pogo pins (spring-loaded test pins) should make more reliable connections than springs.

See .

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

Try using a zero insertion force (ZIF) 14-pin DIL IC socket and a plug designed to mate with an IC socket. This will allow connection with no insertion or removal force. A lever applies pressure to the pins only when needed. The ZIF sockets that I've used are from Barnes Engineering and made for use on IC testers, but they work great for physics lab experimental setups.

The downside is that our Barnes ZIF sockets were priced at from $30 to $60 each (at last count) but hopefully other less expensive sources for similar products now exist.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover