Connecting a DC Fan to a Battery

Ok, this is like childs play to you experts, but I am so wet behind the ears I might electrocute myself.

Here is the deal.

I have a small DC fan, the ones you would find inside a computer. It has three wires coming out of it, a RED a BLACK and a YELLOW. I want to hook this fan up to a small battery. Question is, which wire goes to the NEGATIVE and which to the POSITIVE? Any help would be appreciated, and again I am sorry for this totally easy lame question to all you experts.

Reply to
johnstiller

Most computer fans work from 12V (but might work from lower).

Red = +ve = 12V Black = -ve = 0V

Ignore the yellow it's used to monitor the rpm in computer.

Reply to
CWatters

So what you are saying is that I can forget the YELLOW and hook the REd to the POSITIVE and the BLACK to the NEGATIVE and I should be set? Thanks so much for your speedy answer.

Reply to
johnstiller

On most standard 3 wires PC fans, black is negative, red is positive (typically 12v), and yellow is SENSE for fan speed feedback. You can ignore the yellow.

too late.    - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Impmon

REd

Yeah. Lamers have come up with this non-standard +ve and -ve abbreviation to confuse people; they can't just say + and -, as if _that_ was too simple. Duh.

Happy reading, all you H.P. fans!

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

"Great Cthulhu is Their cousin, yet can he spy Them only dimly. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! As a foulness shall ye know Them. Their hand is at your throats, yet ye see Them not; and Their habitation is even one with your guarded threshold. Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet."

Oh ... wait ... you meant the *other* H.P.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

:-)