Commode diode

I'm looking for a schematic for a commode-diode, a device I can put between the battery connections on my little portable radio at my workstation where I can push a button that will trigger a normally open relay for one minute that will turn off my radio for one minute during commercials, and another push of the button for another minute of silence while listening to Rush or any other program and silence the commercials.

I can solder a circuit but don't know beans about designing such a system. I'm thinking of a 555 with variable resistor to time the off function from one minute to two or three minutes.

I'll build one if you provide the schematic and if it works I will publish the results here in the newsgroup and give you full credit for the invention. I'll even take a picture of the final device and make it available for anybody to see.

Anybody interested?

Wayne in Chula Vista

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

As an alternative to this idea, is there a way to send a signal via the computer to do the same? I'm using Windows 98 and have the standard IO's. Any ideas?

between

where

or

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote

What? You wanna make sure the shit goes down the bog, but can't travel back up in the opposite direction to spray on your butt again? A "commode diode".

Martin

--
M.A.Poyser                                                  Tel.: 07967 110890
Manchester, U.K.                                http://www.fleetie.demon.co.uk

You got it!

110890

Wayne Lundberg

In article , snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net mentioned...

Hi, there Wayne down in Chula Vista, I'm up here in Santa Banana, down the road from Dizzyland. Here's what I did to kill the commercials. I built a 555 timer and a RF oscillator that I tuned to the FM station so that when the timer turns it on, it just blots out the audio and all I hear is a dead silence. It's easily made, and will work okay if it's close to the radio. C6 may be hard to find, so use a 22 pF and add a few pF or else a larger coil with more turns to lower the freq. You can also use an inch or two of solid telephone wire tightly twisted together to make a 'gimmick' capacitor that you can then trim to get the right freq. Just solder it across the 22 pF.

ASCII Schematic is viewable with courier font.

--------------------------------

Commercial Killer Circuit by Watson A.Name 5-14-99 rev 990531e An ASCII Schematic - view with Courier font +3V Batt B1 +-----+---+----------------------------------------+-->

| | | C1 | | | ----- 0.1 uF | | | ----- \ R3 | | | +-------+----------------------+ / 470k | | --- | | | \ | | GND | | +------+ C2 | / | | | | | | .01 | | | |8| |7| |6| |5| ----- uF | +--+'Time' | ----------------------------- ----- | | | SW | | | | | R4 \ | SPDT | | U1 | --- | 470 / | Cen- | | | GND | k \ | ter | | TLC555 | | / O off R1 \ | (R-S 276-1718) | +3V | |

Reply to
Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'

Wow! Thanks - Don't know when I can get to it, but the project is now on my 'to do' list.

Wayne

between

where

minute