Comcast Digital Cable Frequencies Chart

Hi,

I did a Google search for Comcast digital cable frequencies spectrum chart ("comcast digital cable"+"frequecies spectrum" and I tried "comcast digital cable"+"frequencies chart"), but it did not find what I was looking for.

I am looking for a chart listing the frequencies used by each channel number like the one I have from years ago when cable was analog.

I am willing to pay a small fee for this chart.

Does anyone know a web site that has this information?

Thank You in advance, John

Reply to
jaugustine

In a nutshell: You're not going to find such a thing, since it doesn't exist.

More detailed explanation: With digital cable, trying to use a "channel equals frequency" scheme is wasted effort and resources. Digital cable is more like the internet than a TV broadcast, in that it's essentially just a stream of bits being pumped through a pipe. In its simplest-to-explain form (which ignores a whole bunch of technical details for the sake of brevity) you just dump the whole mess of programming - every channel the system offers - down the pipe as a stream consisting of packets of bits. The cable box sits there watching the stream of packets going by, and based on what "channel" you're "tuned to", grabs the packets it needs to reconstruct the video and audio for that "channel" out of the raw stream, and sends it to whatever output stage is appropriate. Any packets that don't pertain to the "channel" in question are simply ignored.

--
Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q
Reply to

DOCSIS is almost every frequency that coax can carry, sliced up into bands. MHz to GHz. TV stations are digitally encoded in the data.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.

Hi Don,

Digital broadcasts over the air uses specific frequencies. However, cable uses coax instead of "air". Those digital "packets" require RF to travel over the air or on cable.

I injected a 276Mhz signal into the cable and it "knocked out" those ANNOYING ads/promos you see when you use the "On Demand" feature to see a list of movies, TV shows, music videos, etc. With the ads "blocked", I was able to select and view (on demand) a music video because it uses a different frequency.

John

Reply to
jaugustine

Over the air is 8VSB, and cable uses QAM encoding. Here is a link to a PDF file explaining the differences on page 54.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi,

I was aware that the "format" is different on cable compared to over the air, but the point I was trying to make is that each channel uses a different frequency on cable, just as it does over the air.

John

Reply to
jaugustine

Did you read the material?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
annettecsr10189