Cheap thermometer calibration technique?

But seriously, how many angels _can_ dance on the head of a pin? >:->

Thanks! Rich

--
Flap!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus

There are several answers. It really depends if the angles are latching or non-latching

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

WRONG ANSWER!!

As long as they have matching spin state, they act as one angel independent of their count.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

My answer was "All of them". ;-)

Thanks for Playing!

Cheers! Pig Bladder

Reply to
The Pig Bladder from Uranus

No, the answer to that question is 180. Any more and they fall off the edge.

--
Keith
Reply to

Not to spoil anybody's fun, but the original question that the Schoolmen were debating was whether an angel--a pure spirit--occupied any space. The question was not whether it was 1 or 180, but whether it was a finite or infinite number.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The angels or the angles?

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

The question morphed a bit along the way.

--
Keith
Reply to

The medieval equivalent of Usenet, obviously. ;)

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

a triple-point aparatus, - that's a good temperature reference for your thermocouple :) 0.01C

Reply to
Jasen Betts

All angels can dance on the head of a pin, devils get the other end!

Reply to
Jasen Betts

vs atm

Drug-store medical thermometers are very accurate within their range. Along with melting ice, they provide an excellent pair of cal points.

John

But if you don't take up any space, in what sense could you be said to be "dancing"?

A more important question is where they're keeping the infinite number of monkeys with typewriters. Those obviously DO exist; I submit to you, as evidence - the net.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Every third poster on Usenet is actually a monkey. Look left. Look right. Don't see a monkey? Where's that leave you? :)

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info

With banana peels all over his floor?

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

An IR thermometer will not be very accurate on lower as body temps due to the radiation measured.

An IR is good for above 50 F or 25 C Calibration is best done close to the temps really measured. And yes boiling and freezing water is very accurate and the method with the black body is best.

Reply to
pol

I noticed that my typical Fluke IR thermometer only works at room temperature. I took it outside last winter, and after the unit starts to cool, forget it.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Have I got really rubbish thermometers? I've tried measuring body temperature both in my mouth and under my arm, and it's never more than about 30C.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In
fact you can see it all over their faces."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Anything above absolute zero emits InfraRed radiation.

IR thermometers are calibrated for a very small temperature window, compared to the span of what is available. From low temps to high temps, many models are available. Many operate at a specific wavelength due to spectral windows on their transducers that make the unit very application specific.

A good IR thermometer,correctly factory calibrated, should be left alone, and will remain deadly accurate for years. If one thinks one's reading is off the mark, think about emissivity factor. Do not ever blame your instrument. Operator error is often (nearly always)the case. Calibrated thermo-couples are always nice to have around to verify your IR Thermometer reading capability.

That is, if one buys a reputable instrument to begin with.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Now, if you examine the spec Fluke published, you should find a range of operation, under which it is meant to give a calibrated reading.

The device (IR Transducer) that does the reading (likely a resistor bolometer) is perfectly capable of reading lower, but the electronics it feeds only got designed to work in a specific voltage window, so there will be no read out below a certain threshold. It has to do with Fluke's circuitry and calibrated window of operation. The transducer itself is capable of far more, I guarantee it. Just don't point it at the Sun.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever