cassette conversion

I have a box of old cassettes in the attic (like a million other blokes). Rather than consigning them to the dust bin, I'd convert them to MP3 files. Anybody have suggestions for a converter?

I could buy one blind, from Amazon or Best Buy, but I wonder if there are differences in quality, among competing models.

I plan to do one tape per day. It should require minimal baby sitting - just start it, then let it run to completion, and switch off, on its own.

PS Some of the tapes are metal, some CrO2, some plain vanilla (whatever that means). And differing cutoff filters. So that's a complication. As I recall, there were players which could recognize these various types. How did they do that?

--
Rich
Reply to

As I recall, there were cut-outs on the top edge of the cassette, similar to the record protection notch.

Reply to
Richard Jones

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 11:19:11 +0100, Richard Jones wrote as underneath :

I think the bigger thing to watch for - is were they originally recorded with Dolby (usually B but possibly C on very high end recorders) or not. Many later commercial tapes even used Dolby.. If your modern transfer player doesn't recognise Dolby encoding and un-encode it, you would need to at least correct for hiss etc in the MP3s. Depends on your perception! C+

Reply to
Charlie+