Can I substitute a 6v for a 4.5v power supply?

I just bought a portable CD player whose specs call for a 4.5V/300mA power adapter. The player doesn't come with an adapter, just two AA batteries. I found a couple of adapters in my house that are 6V/300mA. Can I (safely) use these adapters in place of the 4.5V the specs call for?

Gary

Reply to
Gary

use

I think you would be playing with fire. Apparently, the unit actually requires 3v DC (as evidenced by inclusion of the 2 AA batteries). Using a 6v supply (assuming that the voltage doesn't drop under load - which may or not be a valid assumption) would be overating the player by 100%...not a good idea, at least if you want it to last.

Reply to
Baphomet

power

6v

not

I agree.

4.5v appears to be one of the standard items at RadioShack and you can select the proper connector and leave the store with a complete solution for likely
Reply to
Richard Crowley

Mark W. Lund, PhD            ** Custom Battery Chargers
CEO                          ** Bulk Cells and Custom Battery Packs
PowerStream Technology       ** Custom Power Supplies
140 S. Mountainway Drive     ** DC/DC Converters
Orem Utah 84058              ** Custom UPS
http://www.PowerStream.com   ** Custom power management electronics
Brigham Young University Alumni e-mail:  lundm@xray.byu.edu
Reply to
Mark W. Lund, PhD

"Gary" schreef in bericht news:L%isb.50655$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

use

Gary,

Something does not fit. Two AA batteries account for 3V max. Most of the time it will be less. For 4.5V you would need three batteries. So if your battery box only has place for two batteries - and the CD player works fine with it - 6V will be a substantial overkill. It may even worse when the converter is unregulated. If you have a regulated 6V converter you can nevertheless use it but you have to use three diodes - let's say 1N400x - in series. If you have an unregulated supply, you have to add a regulator circuit. A new converter will be much easier and even cheaper.

petrua

petrus bitbyter

It does seem strange, but my CD player uses 2 AAs and it is marked 4.5 volts on the DC input and, in fact, came with a 4.5v wall wart. My digital camera uses a 3.7 Li-ion battery and comes with a 5v AC adapter.

These devices have an internal power supply that converts to several voltages as a computer's PSU for the various electronics inside. While the OP's CD player may work with the 6volt adapter, the dissipation may be excessive and damage the player. John

power

fine

in

Reply to
jriegle

----------------- No. You clearly have no idea what you're doing.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

power

use

Which is why he posted in the first place.

Reply to
Mjolinor