Cable splitters & signal strenth question

Recently got a 2nd HD Tv. The cable comiing into the house goes through a

3-way spitter. I've noticed that the two TV will pick up most stations but not all I'm suppose to get. When I connect each TV directly to the cable without going through a spitter I will get all channels. My question is: Do splitters go bad or is a 3-way splitter diluting the signal too much. I though cable signal could handle up to a 4-way splitter.

Do rooms that have cable outlets that are not being used need to be terminated with a cable cap? PS: I use Comcast cable through their cable box.

Reply to
Gary Helfert

It certainly looks like low signal strength. If the signal at the input of the splitter is up to standard, there should be plenty after the splitter. Unused splitter outputs should be terminated to prevent reflections, but that's not the problem. Check for a bad connection somewhere, starting at where the cable drop enters the house. Look for corroded connectors and damaged cable. The splitter itself might be bad. They are usually very reliable unless they get zapped by a lightning surge (an induced surge, not a direct hit. Direct lightning strikes do obvious damage). If Comcast installed that splitter, call their support line. If it's your splitter, try replacing it. Comcast will try to blame you and your equipment, so check everything first, and if you can't find a cause for the weak signal, make the call and expect to be treated like a retarded child. As in being asked if both tv sets are plugged in. Bear in mind that you are not talking to a tech, but to what amounts to a bot, a technically illiterate phone-monkey reading from a script. Once you get past the script, they will schedule (at their convenience, not yours) a service call. The tech they send may be an actual Comcast employee or a subcontractor, but he should be equipped to measure the signal strength at the cable drop. In my neighborhood, Comcast has replaced a lot of old pole-mounted distribution amplifiers. Apparently, they are reluctant to replace a flaky amp until enough of them fail to make it worth sending a repair crew around. Welcome to the wonderful world of deregulated monopoly telcom.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

Reply to
Gary Helfert

One: Don't top-post. Your response should come AFTER the text you quote. Basic usenet etiquette.

Two: Unless things have changed radically since the last time I looked at the specs, the Rat-shit amps you're asking about aren't worth a bucket of buzzard puke for handling today's digital-cable signals - They work at *WAY* too low a frequency range. Worse, if your area does cable internet, you should know that they can and sometimes do mangle the signal and change the line characteristics in ways that make it impossible to connect. If that's not bad enough, this signal-mangling and the alteration of line characteristics can (not "will", but "can") backfeed onto the main cable serving your neighborhood and take out everybody connected. Get that happening, and you can find yourself in a world of really deep shit in a really big hurry.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
 Click to see the full signature

If what you say is accurate, it seems we are well past the time when the FCC should force the cable companies to disclose the signal conditions at their interface to the user. Users, by law, have the option of providing their own equipment, and that's difficult if you don't have specs.

I'm going to contact my provider to see if I can get their info. If they won't give it, I'll push it to the FCC.

Reply to
Don Bowey