Buying a Radar Detector 11 bands ? What the hell ???l

I thought I will buy a radar detector . I go look in Target and what the bloody hell

11 bands ..is it a Cable TV or a radar detector ?

Where do these 11 bands come from ? How do these detectors even work ? Don't tell me they send out 11 different alert tones (as if I can decode them at 95 mile an hour) ?

Is it even worth buying one ?

Looks like you are better off obeying speed limits & using other tactics like go with the flow of traffic etc

Also I always wondered ..... if the radar gun transmits a PCM signal can it not be made undetectable to detectors ? If the detector cannot decode the transmitted code how can it detect it ? Why is the police not using it ? If the police gun can randomly preset & vary the code of the PCM signal , would it not render it undetectable by a detector (unless the detector has matching PCM code to receive it ..............am I missing something here ) ? Of course the transmitting gun can detect the bounced back signal as it would be synched to transmitted code.

Reply to
reckeless_homicidal_maniac_hig

it

randomly

the

course

Valentine One is the top unit on the market.

The Escort line is somewhat less in capability, but may be adequate for your needs.

Starwolf

Who cares what band the radar is in? The fact is, you've got someone throwing photons of a certain size at you. Time to hit the brakes.

You don't have to demodulate the radar signal to know that it is a radar signal.

--
Timberwoof
faq:  http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/faq.shtml

signal.

Ummmmmmmmm.......interesting. Then only the simple detection of the carrier frequncey (aka the "modulated" freqyency) is a sufficient condition and the "modulating" frequency is irrelevant ?

Reply to
reckeless_homicidal_maniac_hig

There is no modulating frequency... speed radar is Doppler.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Oopsie! Mistake #1. You don't buy your audio equipment from a place that sells dishwashers. Don't buy your radar detector from a place that sells women's cut rate undies.

Mark Johnson, Ft Worth; IBA#288; CM#1; EOB, DoD#2021; LPR#50
2003 FJR1300 "E²"; http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bownse

What relevant information does the modulation give you? Who else uses radar on public streets and highways? If you're being lit up by something other than a cop, you either don't care or you're in way deeper doodoo than with just a cop.

--
Timberwoof
faq:  http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/faq.shtml
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Timberwoof

The radar being transmitted is modulated at some other, more manageable frequency. The receiver part of the radar gun detects that second frequency and compares it to the original. So yes, Doppler shift is involved, but it's technically easier to detect it on a modulated signal.

--
Timberwoof
faq:  http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/faq.shtml
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Timberwoof

A CW signal, usually generated by a Gunn-type LO, is sent out.

Reflected signal is Doppler frequency shifted, and is mixed with LO to get Doppler frequency shift... measured with a counter.

There IS NO MODULATION.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

LOL!!!

I guess if a 2 or 3 band placebo is good, an 11 band placebo is even better!! :)

Somebody's vivid imagination, no doubt...

--
Sloth Kills!
http://www.geocities.com/slothkills/

the

decode

tactics

can it

transmitted

randomly

(unless the

course

What's with all the spaces ?

I know that one band is for Laser or LIDAR.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

The

your

When all you speed jockeys find the speed traps, do us a favor and report them to this URL.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

radar

carrier

and the

radar on

than a

just a cop.

There are hundreds of automatic door openers that work in the same bands as the radar detectors, so as you go by a supermarket or dept store, your detector is likely to go off. But then you're not usually traveiling very fast when that happens.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Unless the highway happens to be next to a major shopping mall.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Different bands are used for different things in different countries. It is important to be able to disable or at least differentiate between them, e.g. in the UK X-band is used for door-openers and traffic light flow sensors but not speed traps, so you want to be able to ignorte these.

They are radio receivers.

Probably not.

Possibly. You need every defence you can get against the present cash-driven policing policies.

Going with the flow of the traffic is not necessarily going to work - some forces target 'naturally fast' stretches of roads for maximum revenue.

They detect the carrier, regardless of the modulation. If someone speaks to you a foreign language, you can still tell that they are speaking.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

How many LE agencies use always-on X band? A decent detector should handle false-positives properly. (As well as a real threat in the same vicinity as the false-positive.)

--
Mike Lynch
'04 FLHTCUI
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tinman

And, since the V1 locator would show it as coming from the side (instead of front/back) you would know it was a lower-risk bogie. Gotta love the locator function that no one else has!

--
Mark Johnson, Ft Worth; IBA#288; CM#1; EOB, DoD#2021; LPR#50
2003 FJR1300 "E²"; http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bownse

Some newer radar may work that way but your classic speed radar uses a carrier wave only.

LIDAR uses PCM, though.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

There are lots and lots of K band door openers now. In fact, where I live, most cops have switched over to Ka!

--
Surendar Jeyadev         jeyadev1@wrc.xerox.com

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Surendar Jeyadev

I've rarely encountered them around here, if ever. What is the motivation for the change in frequency, to outwit radar detectors? (Serious question.)

It's been that way for some time around here--before I arrived 8 years ago.

I live in an area that has large unpopulated areas. Except for interstates, there is not enough manpower to allow for stationary LEOs writing speeding tickets (they need to cover their entire territory, which is time-consuming). This means moving radar; targeting opposing traffic. Most LEOs seem to operate in always-on mode, at least until recently. Laser is out of the question.

With a decent detector you can get good advance warning. Indeed in this environment the cheaper detectors trigger far too soon (but they help control speed for miles and miles). As instant-on use increases you need to plan accordingly. Fortunately, there are a plethora of sacrificial lambs who have no problem being out front. If you stay far enough behind them--but not too far--you can pickup instant-on radar directed at them. It's very possible the LEO will miss that vehicle, so you need to slow down appropriately. (Not me of course, I'm just speaking in general here.)

Often the LEOs will hunker down behind a semi (who must adore them being if their draft). They pop out just long enough for a quick burst (what probable cause?), and they are back in. I rarely trust a semi coming at me at what seems to be a slower than normal speed. Odds are there is a LEO hiding behind 'em. YMMV.

--
Mike Lynch
'04 FLHTCUI