Belkin 140W ACAnywhere w/10A fuse

Hi,

I just purchased a Belkin 140W ACAnywhere adapter for my car. It converts the 12V DC to 110V AC for use with a laptop computer, cellphone charger, etc.

The manual says it will output a constant 140W. My car's cigarette lighter has a 10A fuse. Therefore, I half expected that I would blow the fuse when I turned the ACAnywhere on. But, it didn't blow the fuse, and it worked normally on my laptop that probably does not pull

140W, but more in the range of 90-100W.

So, my question is will this wreak havoc on my electrical system?

Thanks

Reply to
EKK

No, car electrical systems are pretty crude and not all that fussy.

You'll know that you have a problem when you increase the load to the extent that that 10A fuse blows, or smoke comes out of your laptop computer.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

In article , hhc314 @yahoo.com says... | You'll know that you have a problem when you increase the load to the | extent that that 10A fuse blows, or smoke comes out of your laptop | computer. What is the recommended procedure for putting the smoke back into the laptop, so it will work again?

--
Regards,
         Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Soak the laptop in the toilet tank. Be sure to add 4 cups of concentrated bleach and 1 cup of salt for every 1.3 gallons of water. Swirl. Flush. Repeat.

Reply to
Mike D2

No, it won't.

It is _capable_ of delivering up to 140 watts continuously, and would probably draw 160 watts or so from the car while doing so, but will only produce as much power as needed by whatever you plug into it (and then will draw about 10% more from the car).

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
GPS and NMEA info and programs: http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/index.html

The AC Anywhere has a 3 pronged outlet like in the house that I plug the laptop adapter into. So, if anything the laptop's adapter could get fried. I don't see the laptop itself having any trouble.

Reply to
EKK

These inverters are fairly efficient. It should be putting out 120 VAC. I have no clue to why people refer the AC mains in North America to be 110 VAC. The standard from what we have been told is now 120 VAC, for many years. I am sure if you measure the output of your inverter, it is going to be 120 VAC. You will need a true RMS meter to see it accurately. If you were to measure any of the AC outlets in your home they should read about 117 VAC to about 123 VAC on the average. There are some areas where the voltages would be a bit lower, but this is not the average.

The fuse in the car circuit will only blow if the load exceeds its 10 Amp rating. If you are drawing 50 Watts of power at 120 VAC, this would be a load of approximately 0.41 Amps at the 120 VAC level. I would believe that the inverter would have maybe about a 10% overhead. This would be seen by the source that is driving it.

Here is the clincher... At 12 Volts for the same given Wattage load, the inverter will be pulling 10 times the current. This means that with a 50 Watt load, the 12 Volt side would be supplying to a load of about 4.1 Amps. Then to compensate for deficiency loss, I would speculate to add another

10%. This should bring it up to about 4.5 Amps being pulled from the automobile's cigarette lighter. If you were to double the load on the inverter to 100 Watts, then the current pull would be about 9 Amps at the cigarette lighter. I would guess this to be a safe limit from the fuse size you indicated. If you were to put the full 140 Watt rated load on the inverter, it would definitely blow a 10 Amp fuse in its input side.
--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg       GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage         http://www.zoom-one.com
Electronics        http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
Instruments       http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

"EKK"  wrote in message
Hi,

I just purchased a Belkin 140W ACAnywhere adapter for my car.  It
converts the 12V DC to 110V AC for use with a laptop computer,
cellphone charger, etc.

The manual says it will output a constant 140W.  My car's cigarette
lighter has a 10A fuse.  Therefore, I half expected that I would blow
the fuse when I turned the ACAnywhere on.  But, it didn't blow the
fuse, and it worked normally on my laptop that probably does not pull
140W, but more in the range of 90-100W.

So, my question is will this wreak havoc on my electrical system?

Thanks
Reply to
Jerry G.

You've been living in a cave, haven't you? Or at least you haven't popped the hood and looked inside the fuse box of a recent model vehicle. I did the other day, and got just a little bit apprehensive. See, it was a 2002 chevy tahoe, and there must've been at least thirty fuses, not to mention at least a half dozen relays. In addition, each of the 8 spark plugs has its own module. Gone are the days when vehicle electrical systems were "crude and not all that fussy."

--
----------------(from OED Mini-Dictionary)-----------------
PUNCTUATION - Apostrophe

Confusions: it's = it is or it has (not 'belonging to it'); correct
uses are ~it's here~ (= it is here); ~it's gone~ (= it has gone);
but ~the dog wagged its tail~ (no apostrophe).
----------------(For the Apostrophe challenged)----------------
 From a fully deputized officer of the Apostrophe Police!

I bought some batteries, but they weren't included,
so I had to buy them again.
-- Steven Wright

FOR SALE: Nice parachute: never opened - used once.

(Problem) Evidence of leak on right main landing gear
(Solution) Evidence removed

"

"

.