battery / capacitors

Hi all,

Roughly how many farads would be needed to replace say a simple 1.5V AA sized battery ? with a similar run time..

thanks,

Chris

Reply to
exxos

exxos responded in news:3f92dd4e$0$6621$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com like this:

C = IT/V

So for 2000mAH, Vmin 1V, C = 2 x 60 x 60 / 0.5 = 14.4kF.

--
Fred Bloggs.
Reply to

In article , snipped-for-privacy@home.co.uk mentioned...

It's not the same. A battery's voltage stays relatively constant, whereas the capacitor continually discharges, to zero. But you'd need lotsa farads. See

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

Ah, I did it for a guess at 100ma for a hour and got 400F, in other words BFC!

Chrsi

Reply to
exxos

In article , snipped-for-privacy@home.co.uk mentioned...

Maybe not so big, physically.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

Why don't you get one of those 5volt 1 farad caps. They are about the size of 4 quarters stacked up. We used to use them to keep the old DRAM energized without batteries. They would last months and months. I think the last one I bought was from

in northern California... Good luck and take care, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

AA

words

wow, would be interesting to see what happens to the steel rule after shorting one of those out ;-)

chris

Reply to
exxos