Bare-Bones X10

An X10 controller creates a 121 kHz carrier, superimposed on the 60 hZ AC line. At the 60 hZ 0 crossing, the system sends pulses of that carrier frequency, containing an address and a command. The address tells which remote X10 device to respond, and the command tells it how to respond.

An X10 wireless system consists of an RF transmitter, that sends a code to an X10 transceiver. The transceiver receives the RF, decodes it into address and command, and then operates the same way as the controller. In addition, the transceiver can act as an X10 remote device, controlling whatever is connected to it according the command whenever it is addressed. to send pulses out to the X10 devices.

Reply to
ehsjr

Actually, it sends three one millisecond pulses over a cycle of the power, 1/180th a second apart. One for each zero crossing of the three possible phases. One bit takes two cycles, with the data sent at the zero crossings and it's complement the next cycle. Total data rate including overhead is something like 22 bits per second.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier

I haven't followed this thread closely.

Have you visited the X-1 site?

I use a lot of X-10 and believe it does a good job. The transceiver is annoying at times, because it seems to become confused when I add another "appliance module." For a short while, it fails to repeat the on-off commands it receives from the RF transmitter. However if I just ignore it for about 15 minutes, it starts repeating the commands again as I issue them.

One of the features I like is that I can have all the appliance modules for my neon set to the same code so they turn on and off together. Same for the yard's security lights - one address for all.

Their RF wall switch is a neat idea too. You can place it on a wall wherever you want as long as it is in range of the Tranceiver module. Use it in place of one of the small portable commanders such as the keyfob unit.

The Transceiver (TM751)is now $12.99, the Universal Module (UM506) with isolated output contacts is $18.99, and the keychain remote (KR19A) is rip-off priced at $19.99. Because it's over $40 you will get free shipping.

These people have a sale-per-day.

Don

Reply to
Dbowey