Ask a Silly Question ...

OK, I'm responding to myself - sosueme. ;-)

I've been out of the loop for awhile, kinda in transit. I got the serial thingie going, (a half-null modem, kinda - I did the 9-pin equivalent of 4&6-20, and looped back the other HS line). Transferred a couple megabytes in about an hour. Most of which time was spent dicking around with windoze software.

So I put the old 4 GB drive in the new computer - all I had to do was change the jumper from master to slave, and I had to use the ribbon cable from the old comp, since the new comp is so barebones that the IDE1 cable didn't even have a connector for the slave. Took about 2 minutes to physically move the disk (I'm a hacker, after all - one screw, two connectors, done!), and another 2 minutes to drag and drop the whole drive's contents into its own dir. on the new drive. Of course, when I booted, W2K found all four partitions, so I've got C:, D:, E:, F:, G:, H:, I:, and J: drives. "Windows has found new hardware ..." I gotta admit, somebody at M$ was apparently awake one day; it's turning out to be quite nifty. Please don't gouge my eyes out. ;-)

Since then, I've done the same with my latest client's computer - The guy said, "Before you do anything to this computer, BE SURE YOU SAVE EVERYTHING!" The client's comp. is a Compaq Presario. A bunch of USB ports, but I contemplated tying up both comp's for however long, so I just pulled the drive and dragged and dropped it onto the new drive. I'm at the client's comp. now, and it turns out that we're not going to midify it much - I think I have them almost talked into using Linux for the firewall and network server, but that's kind of down the line.

But I do want to thank everybody for participating in what seems to be a lively discussion and like that. :-)

The whole operation was a great success, and I have determined that using COM ports for a network is a really stupid idea. ;-)

With computers these days, you don't even need a freaking router! They come with like 6 USB ports by default!

Yeah, I think this is going to be a fun assignment, except for the fact that my two primary cow-orkers are a Luddite who, if he wasn't doing it 50 years ago it doesn't exist, and a male psycho bitch from hell, but what the heck - it pays the bills, and the fringe bennies are kinda cool - like, they're letting me live in my house-car (Winnebago) in their parking lot, for zero rent.

Again, and I hope it's not the beer talking, thanks everybody for responding to the thread, and all that yadda blah. %-}

Cheers! Rich

Rich Grise wrote:

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich,

My office PC went west a couple of weeks ago. Crashed processor and no hope of recovery. I tool the disk out, changed it to slave and pushed into my home PC. Absolutely no problem.

It's also allowed me to exchange data between the drives like never before, so, it's a valuable exercise, even if it was an emergency move.

I'd recommend disk moving any time with modern PCs, It's literally plug and play.

Regards

John Fortier

Reply to
John Fortier

In sci.electronics.misc Rich Grise wrote: I just went through this - Save yourself some SERIOUS sweat.

Fire up Winzip and zip up directories. bring up Hyperterm on both computers connect them at the highest rate you can (115K usually) connect the serial ports using a null modem connector send the zip files from one to the other computer.

This works well, reliably and fast enough for me anyway.

You'll still have to install all the apps on the new computer to get all of the registry settings right, but the data can be dumped through using the zmodem file transfer via hyperterm.

good luck and have fun, DLC

: Hi. I just bought a new computer, and was thinking of ways to get all : my stuff : from the old computer to the new one. I thought, "serial link," which : would : be fun anyway. So, since the local RS is in disarray during : remodeling, I went : to the local Home Club and got some 4-conductor, jacketed, shielded : wire.So, OK, cool - I've got that stranded bare drain wire, which is : frame ground, : obviously, and a red, green, black, and white wire. So black or white : would : be signal ground, and red/green RxD and TxD. So, what's the thing to : do with : the excess wire that makes the most sense? There _are_ four_ : handshake lines, : if I want 1/4-duplex handshaking. If I did that, are there any ideas : as to : which particular wire (RTS -> CTS, DTR -> DSR, one way or the other) : it : would do any good to connect? Or should I just tie it off.

: Thanks! : Rich

: If you want to email me, elide 'ard'.

* Dennis Clark         dlc@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
* "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill 2003 *
Dennis Clark