Any pcb layout programs allow you to import jpeg image as background?

Historical. The protocol unit for X coordinates is a 16 bit integer. If anything, we'd change to 32 bit ints measuring 0.0001 inch, but so far, nobody has needed a board bigger than 30 inches, so there's not much point in changing it yet.

Plus, floats suck. You can't always store exact decimal values with them. It's almost always better to use scaled integers instead. Given that gcc supports 64 bit integers on nearly all platforms, there's little reason to use floats to hold large integers any more.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Probably not with all the trouble of almost equal comparisons and having to convert and round to ints all the time anyway.

The most appropriate unit is probably 1/1270000 inch in 32 bits. That allows dimensions with 0.1mil and 0.01mm precision to have integer representations.

Reply to
nospam

He didn't assume anything- he asked a question.

Cheers!

Chip Shults My robotics, space and CGI web page -

Sir Charles W. Shults III

On 26 Aug 2003 07:44:03 -0400, DJ Delorie Gave us:

Bullshit, chump. I told you that it would not need to be any more than the resolve of the photoplotters at the manufacturing house. I also said that it would ACCURATELY place 0402 parts. You'd have to be pretty stooopid not to be able to garner the fact that accurately placed 20 mil wide parts means a pretty tight package. Accurately being the key word. Since we do manufacture, the stuff has to be right.

Yer an idiot.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:02:42 +1000, Terry Gave us:

His "question" was framed such that it contained insults, and he even went as far as to manufacture claims which I did not make about the product in question.

Not ranking very high up on the professional grade "respected software author" totem pole. Uncle Al would have treated his ass the same way, or far worse even.

Reply to
DarkMatter

You are certainly correct. I failed to account people who are writing PCB layout packages for the Commodore and TRS-80.

John

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:54:58 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Right... Sure... and your "floats are faster" remark got shot down too.

Try again, dipshit.

Reply to
DarkMatter