AC timer independent of AC circuit it's timing?

I figured something out last night. There are four strand colors in the set and five wires going out to them. I determined that one of the wires is common to all of the circuits (return path). It would appear this path is looped through the last three bulbs in the string.

So, if I interrupt this wire, I can disable the lights, but leave the controller on (assuming the controller will still be running when the light circuits are all failing -- I tried openining the controller to get a better feel for what it's doing, but it's hardended plastic molded directly around the circuitry). I could do this with a simple A/C switch, but I would rather have it on a timer. The problem is that the current through this line is not constant voltage, it varies depending on what mode the controller is in. I assume this would mean an AC timer placed in this line (by putting male and female plugs on each side of the cut line) would not operate properly.

What I need is a timer that is powered on its own independently of the circuit it is opening/closing. Anyone know of such a thing? Or, am I missing another solution?

Reply to
Terry Parker

Relays

Reply to