ABCD parameters

I am attempting to understand the computation of various interesting quantities (eg, insertion loss as a function of frequency) that come out of an analysis of a lossless LC filter using the ABCD matrix.

Wikipedia gives me the terms for series and shunt R, series L, and shunt C, but I have not been able to find a resource that explains how to then use the resulting transfer matrix to compute, say, reflection coefficient or anything useful.

I have the math background to deal with this stuff, but I have not yet been able to go to grad school where, I presume, I would learn about this stuff.

References to textbooks would be appreciated. Explanations will be worshipped.

Reply to
Ross

Hello, Ross, and the best bookshelf reference I have for a discussion of cascade (ABCD) and other two-port/three-terminal parameters is in the circuit analysis and filters chapters in the "Electronics Designers' Handbook", ed. L.J. Giacoletto, McGraw-Hill. There's also table showing the relationship between the various (y, z, ABCD, h, s, etc) parameters. If you own a program such as Mathcad that can do matrix math directly, it's a breeze to do the conversions. You can also use a spreadsheet but it's more cumbersome. I should warn you though, the handbook isn't inexpensive. Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@itd.nrl.navy.mil Naval Research Laboratory

4555 Overlook Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20375-5337
Reply to
J. B. Wood

In addition to J.B. Wood's suggestion, Section 4.4 of Pozar, "Microwave Engineering" (3rd edition) discusses ABCD matrices and the conversion of ABCD parameters to other parameters (Z, S, Y)

If there's a college or university with an engineering school near you, you might find it in the library. Inter-library loan might also be a possibility.

Here's a link to the ABCD matric info on the Microwaves101.com website:

Good luck!

Bob Pownall

Reply to
Bob Pownall