A small group voting system design

Hey, everyone:

I am trying to design a voting system for a small group of people (like

20 or less) which can summarize the voting results immediately after each person votes. The basic idea is that each person has some kinda remote voting pad (a pad has numbered buttons on it so that pushing one button votes the corresponding ID) and a receiver that receives the signals and display the results. I am just wondering what would be the easiest way to make a system like this.

Thanks.

Reply to
Lei

"Lei" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Well,

It's like kicking in an already opened door, but these days microcontrolers are used for this kind of tasks. They can scan a number of buttons and send the that scan serialy to a "central" computer that counts the votes and displays the results. The type of micro depends on the number of buttons you want to scan and the type of communication you want to use. As for the brand, Microchips PICs are often used by hobbyists. They come in a wide range, are relatively cheap and you can find a lot of support for them on the net. But there are many others. Atmel for instance sells good ones, Motorola has a serie of micros, Zilog should be named and Intels 8051 is very old already but its derivatives are offered by many manufacturers.

Only if you need smaller groups - let's say up to sixteen - *and* you need only two or three buttons you can consider to use one or two digital I/O cards in a PC. Velleman for instance sells these type of cards. You can tie the wires of from the buttons directly to the inputs of that card(s).

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Is that the same as "kicking a dead horse?"

An ideology/expression we used to use.;

default

Interactive voting systems...

CWatters

"default" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hmm, my dictionary says "forcing an open door", but I guess neither the door nor the horse will move from my kicking ;)

A lot of people get bored when you answer "Use a PIC", but they simply happens to be the workhorses of these days. You just need to kick them at the right place.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Since your description of the system requires:

  1. Individual units
  2. Keyboard or switch data entry
  3. A graphics display
  4. Wireless capability

The least expensive method of meeting this goal would be to purchase a number of wireless equipped laptop computers. You program one to be the master client, and the remainder to be dedicated slaves of the master.

The solution then becomes entirely software and no hardware development or manufacturing is required.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

How about using mobile phones and text messages?

Reply to
CWatters

"Lei" wrote in news:1129749638.342727.322760 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

(like

one

the

Go there ,

, one of each ,yes , no , undecided , a trigger or push button for each voter and a reset for the controller . roma

Reply to
roma

How can this simple circuit handle the problem of correctly tabulating the result when two users press their buttons at the same instant? There are several solutions, but all of them are considerably more complex than this.

Like everything else, the devil is in the details, and digital system design is arguable one of the best examples of this. :-)

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314