8-Track Player Input?

How can I input a signal from a portable cd player into a car 8-track player? I've done this with a tape deck by putting in a blank tape and routing the signal from the cd player into where the tape output would normally be. From the 8-track player head, there are five wires: blue, yellow, pink, orange, and black. Do I go in through these wires, and if so, which specifically? If not, what can I do?

Reply to
thejball420

Whereas On 10 Oct 2003 22:35:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (thejball420) scribbled: , I thus relpy:

No, you have to find the preamp, and connect to its output, better yet would be to disconnect the preamp..

--
Gary J. Tait .  Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat
Reply to

Across the volume controls.

Reply to
JeffM

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com mentioned...

Those signals are very low level and are equalized for the tape heads, so you would have to reverse equalize the CD signal, and reduce the level greatly. I know there's reverse RIAA eq circuits, but I've never seen the same for a tape deck.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

Tape decks use NAB equalization curves, and different curves for different speeds. The common 8 track used 3.75 IPS, but speeds from

15/16 IPS to 60 IPS were used for different formats and applications. The old GE transistor handbook, and some of the old National Semiconductor application notes covered some of the different filters.
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

This thing has likely got a headphone output which is well past the equalized stage(s). It will have lots of drive. Connecting the shield (3rd conductor) of a 2-wire cable to the low side of the 8-track's volume controls (likely ground) and the 2 hot wires to the top sides of the pots will connect you to the inputs of its amps.

Reply to
JeffM

I am well aware of this. I was pointing out that its not a simple matter of attenuation the audio, then dumping it across a tape head.

As a matter of fact, I have known about the old "Across the volume control trick" for about 40 years.

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida