$5000 Hybrid Car Generators?

DOE told me hybrid technology was expensive because the generators cost about $5,000.00.

Copper wire costs < $1/lb. WHAT IS MAKING THESE ALTERNATORS SO EXPENSIVE?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

What do you mean by hybrid? Are you are refering to a hybrid electric/regular gas car?

If the electricity is generated by a hydrogen fuel cell then thats probably the "generator" they are refering to.

about

Reply to
CWatters

They be the ones.

. . .

Fuel cells use a lot of copper wire?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

No. They use much more exotic materials than copper. In theory they only cost a little to make but they cost a lot to design. Fuel cells aren't used in large quantities yet which means to fund that research the cost of each cell must be high.

This article explains how they work...

The problem is they use Hydrogen. Nobody will buy a car that runs on Hydrogen until they can fill it up easily, and no gas station owner will invest in Hydrogen storage tanks until there are lots of Hydrogen powered cars on the road. So we are stuck. The only people who can use Hydrogen are delivery lorries and busses that have a central base they can return to in order to fill up. One day when oil is in short supply and it becomes very expensive something will change. Either governments will put in some initial investment or perhaps a car manufacturer will decide to do a deal with an oil company that owns lots of gas stations, who knows. Perhaps there will even be a war and some countries that don't have oil won't be able to buy it anymore from the countries that do? Anyway whatever happens way we need something to happen to make the change over worth doing.

The US government is already looking at building more nuclear power plants because one way to make hydrogen is to use electricity from Nuclear power to make it from water....

Although this approach isn't popular with everyone...

Colin

Reply to
CWatters

Most use platinum.

The next wrinkle is about designing effective mobile reformers which can take a hydrocarbon (gasoline) and generate hydrogen as you drive. Leapfrogging the hydrogen fill-up station is going to be a neat trick.

Reply to
JeffM

. . .

Not such a big problem. Fleet and farm vehicles can help get H2 started. That's how diesel became available in the U.S.

Also, BMW has a two fuel vehicle. You can use H2 when possible, gas when necessary.

The real problem is getting the H2.

I understand the U. S. DoE is building a huge nuke waste facility in Washington.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

In article , snipped-for-privacy@pandora.be mentioned...

The problem is nuclear power. The power plants got fuel from Hanford, Fernald, Rocky Flats, etc., which are now huge SuperFund toxic waste cleanup sites. And after TMI and Chernobyl, no private insurance company or investor wants to touch that kind of investment. And we won't even mention the mess that's already out there. They're talking about calling the old timers out of retirement to decommission the aging nukes that are going out of service. Their future doesn't look good.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com mentioned...

It's already built; it's called Hanford. That's where there's so much toxic waste, the jackrabbits glow in the dark. ;-)

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

Maybe the cost of development? After all, if it's run by software, it would be very, very bad if the software failed and caused some accident.

--

----------------(from OED Mini-Dictionary)----------------- PUNCTUATION - Apostrophe Incorrect uses: (i) the apostrophe must not be used with a plural where there is no possessive sense, as in ~tea's are served here~; (ii) there is no such word as ~her's, our's, their's, your's~.

Confusions: it's = it is or it has (not 'belonging to it'); correct uses are ~it's here~ (= it is here); ~it's gone~ (= it has gone); but ~the dog wagged its tail~ (no apostrophe).

----------------(For the Apostrophe challenged)---------------- From a fully deputized officer of the Apostrophe Police!

I bought some batteries, but they weren't included, so I had to buy them again.

-- Steven Wright

FOR SALE: Nice parachute: never opened - used once.

(Problem) Evidence of leak on right main landing gear (Solution) Evidence removed

F o d d e r

f o r

s t u p i d " n o t

e n o u g h