10 technologies that refuse to die

--------------- Funny how they're ALWAYS "in development" and have BEEN so for more than 30 YEARS! Sort of like other Tesla-fanatic inventions. The simple fact is that you can focus a shitload of RF at something with a dish, but it falls off faster than 1/r^2 because it's subject to HUGE f-stop aperture considerations unless the dish is enormous, requires a LOT MORE energy than merely blowing the hell out of it with a shell or missile, or even a huge blast-in-range, and can be deflected with 30 cents worth of Aluminum foil or Aluminum paint inside cheap plastic.

Otherwise you're talking solely about ranges of a few feet because you want specifically to target electronics, instead than merely blowing out the tires.

Even a maser is subject to reflection, and really BIG EMP weapons are merely explosives which are better used ballistically.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:38:42 GMT, "R. Steve Walz" Gave us:

25kW even through Eimacs is not cheap. Doing it with silicon is not only not cost effective, but it would take up more cabinet as well.

Thermal abatement issues are more of a problem as well.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:47:32 GMT, "R. Steve Walz" Gave us:

We were recently contacted by a contractor for a unit similar to cap chargers we make.

They are not even allowed to give us details. This project is actually showing promise. Not a true EMP, it is more like a directed mw beam or such.

You can bet they are serious about it. Being able to electronically disable an enemy does far more than cripple them from movement. It cripples their ability to call in for help as well.

An army with such devices could easily cut off groups of enemies from their support lines. This is a good thing.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:47:32 GMT, "R. Steve Walz" Gave us:

They made far more progress punching dents into missile shells with eximer lasers from great distances. Pretty wild shit, but not portable at all.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:04:53 GMT, "Martin Riddle" Gave us:

doesnt exist yet.

No. You are not hip because you jump into forums with no regard for protocols.

Ever heard that top posting is a bad thing. Well, in Usenet, it is.

Bone up on usenet.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:05:07 -0600, Stephen J. Rush Gave us:

Yeah. On their POS $300.00 receivers.

It takes a $25k audio front end to even be able to *SEE* the difference on a scope, much less *hear* it on the monitors.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:27:35 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Came up fine on mine after 4 blank page "done" no shows like that which you describe.

Go to msn directly yourself, then click the link while your page has already accessed their ssl sockets.

I have Firebird.

My seti page won't pop up directly from a link sometimes either. I have to click up the home page, then click my link. Only happens on their ssl server links. For me. It's probably Bill's fault, and not something that msn differentiates based on your browser as I have encountered it at other than MS sites.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On 17 Feb 2004 15:32:48 -0800, jeffm snipped-for-privacy@email.com (JeffM) Gave us:

snip long line.

Usenet line length is 72 characters, max.

Reply to
DarkMatter

but will scientific facts keep Dubya from trying to build a Death Star?

The Neutron Bomb seemed like such a great nerdy notion: kill the people and the communications gear; leave the buildings intact.

Reply to
JeffM

We'll test it in Europe ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Well can you arrange to do it next week please, I fly to Boston in the morning, back next Saturday, much appreciated.

Reply to
Mjolinor

[snip]

Boston? Poor bastard. What a piss hole of a city.

...Jim Thompson

I have to agree, the worst thing about it is that as soon as you hire your car you are really thrown in at the deep end and it's frantic until you get out the other end of the Sumner tunnel where they extract money off you for the privalege of being stressed.

Reply to
Mjolinor

Don't you know about Boston cabs? Sit in the middle of the back seat and hold on to both door armrests ;-)

Or did you mean a rental car? Having spent four years driving in Boston plus forty-plus years of Arizona high-speed driving, it's me that plays the bluff game... there's nothing more fun than intimidating a Boston driver.

I just aim my car at them, floor it and watch 'em scramble ;-)

...Jim Thompson

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com (Jim Thompson):

And here we thought you were the sweet, innocent, endearing gentleman-type. Boy were we ever wrong! Looks like I'll have to make two Marx generators now. One with a parabolic antenna for destroying cars filled with sub-woofers, and one with a parabolic antenna for disabling cars filled homicidal drivers. :)

Reply to
Mark J.

[snip]

Where did you dream up "sweet, innocent, endearing gentleman-type"? I've been a prankster all my life.

...Jim Thompson

Regular electric guitar also, for some sound qualities.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

---------------------------- The f/stop considerations and the inverse square law make this VERY difficult.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!
http://www.armory.com/~rstevew or http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public
Reply to
R. Steve Walz

------------------ Lasers, not EMP.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!
http://www.armory.com/~rstevew or http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public
Reply to
R. Steve Walz

On 20 Feb 2004 10:03:26 -0800, jeffm snipped-for-privacy@email.com (JeffM) Gave us:

The EMP pulse of a neutron device isn't that great. Not nearly as much as a standard nuke. No proofs that it would be enough to damage anything either.

The device I refer to will be causing electrical activity, instead of making it cease.

Approaching bombs simply won't reach their destination. They blowed up *real* good.

Reply to
DarkMatter