(10) Technologies That Deserve To Die

How about Philips 18 watt SL/O "Outdoor" "Earth Light"? That one starts in temperatures down to even a little below zero degrees F, about -20 degrees C. In windchills as low as a few degrees F (around -15 C), this one warms up most of the way to full brightness, but may take several minutes to do so and can start very dim and even start with an "off" pinkish-red color. In fixtures that protect it from wind, it can warm up most of the way in temperatures a few degrees above zero F (or -15 degrees C). In enclosed fixtures, once it starts it can accumulate heat and warm up most of the way in temperatures a little below zero F (approx. -20 degrees C). In an enclosed fixture, this one should work outdors in anything short of the worst couple nights of an average winter of Chicago!

There is at least one lower wattage in the Philips SL/O series, but it appears to me that specifically the 18 watt one is the good one.

If you want Cf lamps that are good in higher temperatures, then the 15 and 20 watt Philips SLS ones are good. I have seen the 15 watt one dimmed by drafts, and these two (and not the 23 and 25 watt ones as far as I know) are rated for use in recessed ceiling fixtures.

For good efficiency in indoor use, any of the above are normally good, but in favorable environments I believe the Sylvania Dulux EL series does even better.

For good fit that requires an overall length not much longer than that of regular incandescents, the spirals do well. Watch for some specific unreliable models better known by wattage: 25 watts (probably discontinued by now), which I found prone to dying very young whether of the the much-maligned (often deservedly so according to my experience) Lights of America brand, or of the GE brand (one of the "Big Three" and mostly reputable). There are two sizes of 24 watt, the smaller one of which is "mini" and I had one of those die young. But most other spirals seem to do well. My apartment building has had about 4 dozen 15 watt ones imported by Abco and having the "Westinghouse" brand, and about 40 of them are still alive after 22 months running 24 hours a day.

Please read these files in my web site:

(general info, most by Sam Goldwasser)
(test results, many model-specific)

- Don Klipstein ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com,

Don Klipstein

Good enough? It's almost incomprehensible. Lack of punctuation, paragraphs and the excessive rat turds AKA periods, make it difficult to understand. You could do a lot better.

The last sentence doesn't make much sense. What _about_ the quality? good or bad?

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

In article , "Mark Jones" mentioned...

Depends on how you define cold. Here in So. Calif., cold is 50 degrees F, and they still seem to work okay. But then this is the exception.

Is this because the mercury has a difficult time being vaporized when cold? Anyone know the gory details?

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

Well, yeah, but..

Hey, I saw a good personalized license plate the other day.

DK RMVR

For all I know the owner could be a Dr. who does circumcisions. :^) But after mulling what it meant over a bunch of times in my head, I came up with what my little LED projects do. Remove the dark. So now it's Watt Sun, Dark Remover.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

So what's it cost to repair a typical one with dead 'lytics? How many caps do you have to replace? Is the CRT still okay? Do other caps fail soon after the repair? Do I ask too many questions? :^)

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

In article , "Mark Jones" mentioned...

The maint people put some light fixtures in the alley where the taggers graffiti up the walls. They used some outdoor enclosures with the long tubular incandescent lights, which last a month or two and burn out, have to be replaced often, and are big power wasters. They also used a couple outdoor enclosures with the CFL lights in them, which seem bright enough, are a lot easier on the electricity, and haven't burned out in more than a year.

I don't know if these outdoor CFL lights are sold in colder climates, but here in So. Calif, they're a lot better choice than others, even if they cost more to begin with, because of the savings in electricity.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

I got shipped to Minneapolis when I was in the army. Now _that's_ cold!

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

Thanks for the great info, Don. The maint guys put a couple screw-in CFLs in the hallways in my apt, and some tenant decided he liked them better than the incandescents and stole them. That's the bad thing about using a better quality light bulb that fits regular fixtures. If you use a fixture with a weird light, it can help prevent the bastards from pilfering you to death. But even with regular four-for- a-buck incandescents, we've had cheap-ass tenants that steal them from the laundry room.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

I heard of this trick, mark the bulbs/ballasts with an identifier mark. You could also issue the tenants a couple of CF bulbs each.

Reply to
Gary Tait

It varies quite a bit, from a single bad cap, to every electrolytic in the monitor. I bought the Dick Smith ESR meter kit, and just make a sweep through them, looking for bad caps first, then look for other problems. I am still setting my shop up, but one bench is just to work on monitors. Generally, I buy the caps by 25 or 100 at a time, and try to keep what I need in stock.

Never too many questions, as long as the are honest and coherent. ;-)

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dslextreme.com (Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover):

Just the other day, I saw a home with a CF in the portch light. It was probably 45 degrees, and the light was blinking on and off. Like the regular

8-foot fluorescents that go in the garage, they work fine except when it gets cold. At a certain point (0°F?) they cease to work altogether. Perhaps that never happens in the SW, but in Ohio, it happens for at least a week a year.
Reply to
Mark Jones

?? What particular kind of crack are you smoking, or rather what kind of LCD controllers are you using? I watch movies (and play games, for that matter) on banks of LCD monitors all the time.

--

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Not as efficient as you might think, many have power factors of 0.5 or worse. TTYL

Reply to
repatch

In news: snipped-for-privacy@broadviewnet.net (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards):

Perhaps the TN and STN (super-twisted nematic) LCD's suffer from slow refresh, but the newest color LCD's are much better. I like my 19" Panasonic S70, been a great monitor over the years. Last time I was looking at flat-panels, they seemed quite nice (and fast.) Not sure about that "missing pixel" thing though. I kinda enjoy having all my pixels working.

Anyone else see a new report about an electronic "billboard?" Apparently engineers have been working on a reflective material like paper, but with thousands of bit-mapped electronic "bubbles" imbedded within which can be turned on/off with a small current. Which "cells" are turned on determines the location of the bubble, and hence the color. Or something like that.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Any kind DarkSplatter can get his grubby hands on, I'd say.

Reply to
JW

I'm kind of interested here... My bill in the UK is more like US$35/month. We pay around 5p (7.5cents) per kWh unit. Does the difference come from the basic cost per unit or in the amount of electricity used? Anyone care to comment?

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know | | about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ "The world has gone crazy: The best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war." -- Anon

its made by a company called digital inc or ink

Reply to
Modat22

In article , snipped-for-privacy@cunningham.me.uk mentioned...

I can't speak for other places, but here in California, the power deregulation, in addition to causing the crisis we had a year or two ago, has also caused the rates to go up in some service areas. It was either that or else go bankrupt. Thanks, Enron (and other price manipulators and gougers).

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

E-ink in Cambridge MA (USofA) developed this technology (or something like it). The demo I saw a few years ago was fairly primitive- monochrome, relatively large grained without active devices, and thus required a lot of drivers. Passive matrices are not pleasant to drive. They were working on amorphous devices printed along with the display, but it looked to be a ways off.

One of the nice things about it is that it is fairly high contrast, reflective, and non-volatile, so that once something is written to the display it stays visible with no energy consumption. Potentially ideal for e-books and such like, though nowhere near the resolution and color (before we even start talking cost constraints) that would be required to start thinking about replacing 4-color printing.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

There are several factors.

  1. Basic rate structure as approved by some regulatory body.. This varies by location, depending on the type of power generation equipment and the distribution area. Usually with differing rates for residential versus commercial versus industrial use.

  1. Usage rate structure. There are different usage "bands", depending on the average daily/monthly power usage (usually only affects commercial/industrial users). Think of it as wholesale pricing. This pricing is a two-edged sword, as exceeding the contracted-for usage level can bring high penalties. This is one way the power companies try to manage peak usage. I worked in a large office building in Atlanta, GA, that ran the emergency diesel generators on the hottest summer days to provide enough power to avoid exceeding the contracted-for daily power requirements. The penalty rates must be high, because diesel generators don't provide cheap electricity.

  2. Your usage patterns. If you're lighting, heating, and cooling a 600 square foot efficiency apartment in the UK, your electricity usage will be nowhere near what it would be for a 3000 square foot house in the southern US. More space means more power for heating and cooling, and more external heat load in the summer (95F) requires more power for cooling.

  1. Other things that I've forgotten but someone else is sure to mention ;-)

More about me:

VB3/VB6/NSBasic Palm/C/PowerBasic source code:
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
johnecarter at@at mindspring dot.dot com. Fix the obvious to reply by email.

Reply to
the Wiz