Z-busses and synthesis

Hello all,

I'm curious if anyone happens to know how the Xilinx and Altera tools, in particular, handle Z-values for internal signals. If one has a collection of modules which use bidirectional tristate busses, can one combine them in the obvious way and have the synthesis program create whatever logic is needed to simulate the wired-MUXness of the tristate bus, or do one have to explicitly recode everything to use gates or muxes?

Thanks,

-hpa

--
 at work,  in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.

Using schematic entry to Xilinx Foundation and ISE, I have done this both in CPLDs (XC9500 series) and in Spartan FPGAs. The FPGAs can do it directly in hardware, I think the CPLDs simulate the logic function with gates that assume a logic 1 on the bus if no BUFT is driving it. That's not a condition you'd really want to allow, anyway, for some poor soul reading the docs later.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson