XUP PLATFORM USB CHIPSCOPE COMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS

Hello everyone and happy holidays.

But for me, I am stuck with something that I think is not working. Ive got an XUP virtex2 pro board from digilent. I have also read that the board contains an embedded USB platform downloader and that this JTAG downloader should be compatible with chipscope. In my case, I went on and tried it with the evaluation version of chipscope that Xilinx is giving online.

Impact reports properly the JTAG chain and enumerates properly the three components in that chain, through the platform usb cable. I tried to download a bitfile to the board and it works very well. But there are two bugs that I noticed.

When I try to do a readback of the XCF32 configuration memory, impact blocks. When I try to use chipscope, it fails and does not detect any devices.

I think i tried everywhere for a solution, on xilinx website, here, and on google.

Now, as far as i remember, there was a point when impact did an update of the firmware for the platform usb's CPLD.

My questions are:

Does xilinx provides a link to the latest firmware? Is XUP V2Pro 's platform USB compatible with chipscope 7.1? Are there any issues with these two systems? Finally, can anyone suggest me a solution. If anyone has got the same problems?

Thanks guys JA

Reply to
jaxato

Paul Hartke

Hello,

For your info, here's my current system:

XP SP2, ISE7.1.04i, chipscope 7.1i

First, I really think that the JTAG interface of ISE and Chipscope are different, as downloading a bit file works when I use impact. For impact does not work when I try to do a readback on the XCF32 chip. But the problem with chipscope is different. It simply does not detect any device in my JTAG chain at all. So ive got the updates intalled and got the latest version of chipscope.

Any suggestions?

Thanks JA

Paul Hartke wrote:

Reply to
jaxato

It doesn't look like you are using the Chipscope service pack; I think that is required. The latest is 7.1.04i.

I've never done a readback of the XCF32 myself. Just curious, why do you want to do a readback?

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Paul Hartke

Hello Paul.

That was it for chipscope, now ive got 60 days to try it. I was afraid that my USB platform configurator was damaged or something. But it turned out that the latest update did it. I was under the false impression that I had the latest chipscope version, but again, It was a question of upgrading it. As for the readback, I am very software oriented and I think this pushes me to try things out. So I tried to readback the XCF32 chip. Which deadlocked Impact. Any clues about this?

Thanks alot anyways! Merry xmas!

JA

Reply to
jaxato

Hi,

The ChipScope 7.1 (no service pack version) opens the Platform USB cable at the highest speed by default. This is too fast for many boards. Try selecting a lower speed.

Later ChipScope 7.1 service packs, has a lower default speed setting for the Platform USB cable.

/ Jan

Paul Hartke wrote:

Reply to
Jan Tjernberg