XST 9.1 hates VHDL character types

Under ISE 7.1, I did a simple UART module that has a "terminating character" generic, which is of type character. (When the receiver sees that terminating character, it asserts a "got terminator" output flag.) XST compiled it and the design works well.

I moved to 9.1, and now XST hates the code and craps out:

  • Design Hierarchy Analysis * ========================================================================= Analyzing hierarchy for entity in library (architecture ) with generics. BAUDDIV = 27

Analyzing hierarchy for entity in library (architecture ) with generics. BAUDDIV = 27 ERROR:Xst - Xst_HdlConst_Utility::BitVector2Const : invalid type (char). ERROR:Xst - Xst_Graph2Hdl::CreateConstSource : not implemented yet for no-type. ERROR:Xst:2683 - Unexpected error found while building hierarchy.

So ... why the step backwards?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Andy Peters

Replying to myself:

OK, so I went through and removed all of the generics of type character, and in the module where the generic is actually used, I created a constant of type character. XST accepts that and the code built.

So, once upon a time (7.1i) you could use a character type as a generic. Now (9.1i), you can't. Still a step backwards. Arrrrgh.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters