XPLA3 and Spartan3 Devices Do Not Respond to Programming via Parallel 3 Cable

I have a 4 layer, development board in prototype stage. The board has an XCR3128XL CPLD and a Spartan 3 XC3S400 FPGA both running at 3.3 volts. I started out trying to program the CPLD with a simple clocked counter process in VHDL. I am using a parallel 3 download cable. The code simulates correctly, synthesises and fits, etc and, according the impact software, programs correctly. I can erase the part, verify that it is erased, program the part, verify that it's programmed, but I get no response from any of the pins. I have checked the UCF file, pin reports, power supply and ground pins on the device and everything looks fine but still no output. I finally went down to even a simpler pin assignment:

outpin1

Reply to
Mike Hicks