Xilinx xflow for the ISE Quickstart Tutorial project?

Hi

I've gone through the ISE Quick Start Tutorial and can get its
4 bit counter downloaded and working on a Digilent board with
an xc3s200-4ft256.  (BTW: the Quick Start Tutorial is located at
http://toolbox.xilinx.com/docsan/xilinx9/books/docs/qst/qst.pdf )

My question how can I use xflow from the command line to build
the .bit file?  For example, after setting the project up with
ISE, I'd like to try moving one of the LED locations in the .ucf
file and rebuild without going into the GUI.

Here is the command I tried and the results I get with it:

 > mkdir -p work
 > xflow -wd work -p xc3s200-4ft256 -synth xst_mixed -implement fast_runtime
-config bitgen tutorial.ise

Release 9.2.03i - Xflow J.39
Copyright (c) 1995-2007 Xilinx, Inc.  All rights reserved.
xflow -wd work -p xc3s200-4ft256 -synth xst_mixed.opt -implement
fast_runtime.opt -config bitgen.opt tutorial.ise
.... Copying flowfile /home/Xilinx92i/xilinx/data/fpga.flw into working
directory /home/bsmith/tutorial/work
.... Copying option file /home/Xilinx92i/virtex/data/fast_runtime.opt into
working directory /home/bsmith/tutorial/work
.... Copying option file /home/Xilinx92i/virtex/data/bitgen.opt into working
directory /home/bsmith/tutorial/work
.... Copying option file /home/Xilinx92i/virtex/data/xst_mixed.opt into working
directory /home/bsmith/tutorial/work

Using Flow File: /home/bsmith/tutorial/work/fpga.flw
Using Option File(s):
  /home/bsmith/tutorial/work/fast_runtime.opt
  /home/bsmith/tutorial/work/bitgen.opt
  /home/bsmith/tutorial/work/xst_mixed.opt

Creating Script File ...
xflow done!

The xflow command doesn't actually do anything.  What do I need to
to to get it to build the .bit file?

thanks in advance
Bob Smith

Re: Xilinx xflow for the ISE Quickstart Tutorial project?

Here is a .bat file I use to build from Verilog source to a .bit file.
I invoke by typing :
make_xst_FPGA_NAME.bat FPGA_NAME  01

The first command line parameter is the root name for fpga ... For
instance, the .ucf file would be named with this prefix, all the
resultant files named with this prefix, etc.

Second command line is the rev level for the build.  Note that I use
this in the bitgen command line to specify the user ID.  This is
helpful in that when a rogue board shows up, the current revision
can be determined via reading this parameter with the JTAG programming
pod.

cd ..
rmdir /s /q synth
mkdir synth
cd synth

xst -ifn ..\scripts\xst.txt -intstyle xflow

ngdbuild  -p xc3s250e-4-vq100 -uc ..\files\%1.ucf %1

map -k 6 -detail -pr b %1
rem pause

par -ol med -w %1.ncd %1_r%2

copy %1.pcf %1_r%2.pcf

trce -e -o %1_err.twr %1_r%2
trce -v -o %1_ver.twr %1_r%2

rem **************************************************
rem * first make bitgen for rom, then remake for JTAG
rem **************************************************
rem bitgen  -w -g UserID:555500%2 %1_r%2 %1_r%2
bitgen  -w -g UserID:55550%2 -g DonePipe:yes -g UnusedPin:Pullup  %1_r%2
%1_r%2

The contents of xst.txt is :

run
-ifn       ..\code\flist_FPGA_NAME.v
-ifmt      Verilog
-ofn       FPGA_NAME.ngc
-ofmt      NGC
-p         xc3s100e-4-vq100
-opt_mode  Speed
-opt_level 1
-top       FPGA_NAME

The contents of flist_FPGA_NAME is :

`include "..\code\FPGA_NAME.v"
`include "..\code\FPGA_NAME_SUB_MOD1.v"
`include "..\code\FPGA_NAME_SUB_MOD2.v"

Lastly ... yes .. this is a DOS batch file.
But the point is it can easily be ported to a script
for whichever OS you are currently using.

... One more thing.  Under Xilinx/Doc/usenglish/book/docs/ are
various subdirectories with .pdf files.

Check the /dev for the developers reference guide, /lib for the
library guide, /xst for info on xst.

Regards,
John Retta
Owner and Designer
Retta Technical Consulting Inc.

Colorado Based Xilinx Consultant

email : jretta@rtc-inc.com
web :  www.rtc-inc.com

Re: Xilinx xflow for the ISE Quickstart Tutorial project?
  < snip >

Thanks, John.  I had found your .bat file with google but was
a little intimidated by all the references.  I shouldn't have
been -- it wasn't really that difficult.  Without worrying about
Makefiles or scripts, here is the list of command required to
build and install the counter to the board for rev# 123.....

    xst -ifn xst.txt -intstyle xflow
    ngdbuild  -p xc3s200-4ft256 -uc counter.ucf  counter
    map -k 6 -detail -pr b counter
    par -ol med -w counter.ncd counter_r123
    cp counter.pcf counter_r123.pcf
    trce -e -o counter_err.twr counter_r123
    trce -v -o counter_ver.twr counter_r123
    bitgen  -w -g UserID:55550123 -g DonePipe:yes -g UnusedPin:Pullup  counter_r123
counter_r123
    impact -batch impact.bat

I used your xst.txt file modified for the FPGA on the Digilent
board.  The commands loaded into "impact.bat" I got by running
the download tool in ISE and grepping out "BATCH CMD" from the
log file.   I consider this the "hello world" of FPGA so now I
can go back and figure out what each command is doing.

One final question, what command would make a prom image (.mcs)
for this?

thanks
Bob Smith

Re: Xilinx xflow for the ISE Quickstart Tutorial project?
Hi Bob -
   After bitgen,
     promgen -w -s 512 512 -p mcs -u 0 %1_r%2

   There are lots of reasons to use a script approach.  The biggest
   are that your synthesis is now easily portable (give someone the
   source, the synth script, and the same ise revision of tools, and
   the bitfile that is generated will diff.  Of course this is possible
   in the gui flow ... just an order of magnitude more difficult.

    Other point is that the whole synthesis flow is defined with a
    few small ascii files.  Easy for configuration control.

    Good luck.

John Retta