xilinx xc9536?

Hello, there are some pins on xilinx xc9536 which are called global clock1/2/3 global reset, etc, where are these explained?

Reply to
<highZ>

There's a document called something like "XC9500 device family datasheet". Those pins are (optionally) connected to special internal routing resources that make them suitable for use as input clocks and global set/reset. Isn't there also a global tristate?

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Reply to
Peter Alfke

This is true, page 6 shows which pins are which. But what I was asking is different -- what is the reason for these pins, when do we use them, what do they do?

For example, I can connect an oscillator to any IO pin, which can then be used in statements like

always @ (posedge input-pin)

Reply to
<highZ>

I was

Reply to
Peter Alfke

H-Z,

Dedicated pins are used to offer some benefit that would not be available from a general purpose pin. For example, a clock should have less delay than any other signal, or else you would need to worry that the clock might arrive after the data. Thus dedicated clock pins have lower skew than other pins. By using the dedicated clocks, the internal routing is never an issue. If you used some other general purpose resource for a clock, then setup and hold times must be met everywhere that signal might go and get used.

A reset pin might have additional logic on it, to prevent glitching if a clock occurs simultaneous with the reset.

It is all in the data sheets, and user's guides: really.

Austin

Reply to
Austin

Which one, there are many datasheets for the 9500 familiy and for each specific one. I had a glance at all of them and couldn't see all these things. What exactly does 'reset' do in the first place, well I will see again if I can find it. Thanks

Reply to
<highZ>

If you're really so unwilling to read the datasheets, you are doomed.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

I probably spend up to 1/2 my working life (and some of my supposedly non-working life) , perhaps more, reading datasheets to understand and effectively use devices.

For this particular part and issue (I use the XC9536XL in 3 designs and I avail myself of the GCLKs for various reasons) all is indeed explained in the following places:

  1. The family datasheet (XC9500 series) has the overview and timings, which can vary with package.
  2. The device datasheet (XC9536)
  3. The various application notes available on the Xilinx site.

If you wish to do this stuff successfully, you have to be willing to absorb an inordinate amount of data from datasheets.

If you don't wish to do the work of looking, reading and

*understanding*, then our help would be futile anyway.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

As I said, I did look, but coudn't find

Reply to
<smount>

I don't have the datasheets in front of me, but here's a suggestion:

Go to

htttp://

Get to the XL9536 page:

Look for 'application notes'

I am sure there's one on using GCLK

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

CPLD data is not the most user friendly, and can give the impression they do not chase new users.

For Xilinx, look at both the pdf called "XC9500 In-System Programmable CPLD Family", and also the device data sheet, and you do need to make the odd leap.

Fig 1 has some overview, Fig 3, Fig4 have more details.

In fig 1, GCK is tagged as 3 lines, and Data Sheet PIN map shows GCK1, GCK2, GCK3 Fig4 shows how those GCKx lines feed all FF's (Fig 3 calls them Global Clocks)

Most common Macrocell resource ( CLK, SET, RESET in 9536 case) have the choice of Global, or Product Term drive. Pin resource also has Global OE, but called GTSx in some places, and Global OE in others (see Fig

10)

GSR can map to either SET or RESET, so you can use one gobal signal, to load one initial pattern into your macrocells (any mix of 1's and 0's )

Both Global and PT drive work, but Global is faster and uses less product terms, so is preferred. Usually you move from using Global only when they are all committed.

The fitter will choose Global, if given the choice.

Write some code both ways: map CLK to a GCK1 pin, and to a IO pin , and compare the Fitter report files.(IIRC Xilinx tag these DesignName.RPT)

You will need to be able to read and understand the fitter report files, but the compile/fit process is fast, so when faced with questions like this again, just try it both ways, and look at the fitter report, to see what the final nett effect is.

-jg

Reply to
Jim.Granville

I feel sorry for anyone who does not know what "reset" means, and then tries to make sense of a halfway-modern CPLD (or FPGA) data sheet. These data sheets are really written for the knowledgeable engineer; they are not a basic tutorial. For that there are many textbooks. Our industry (CPLD and FPGA) is now over 25 years old, and we cannot let every data sheet go back to square one. That would bore the serious designers to death. I am a fan of tutorial information, and I try to sneak explanations in whenever I see a need. But there is a limit. Our data sheets will not explain the function of a master-slave D-flip-flop and its clocking and reset and preset (except saying whether it is synchronou or asynchronous, and which one overrides the other.) The fundamentals are up to schools and universities and libraries to convey. Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications