Xilinx Virtex4 DDR clock output

How do you set up a differential DDR output clock?

In the Spartans there was a DDR register where you would tie one data to 1 and the other to 0 at the output pin flipflop.

The Virtex4 has OSERDES modules, do I use them?

Brad Smallridge aivision

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

Well, you "could" but, the old spartan method works fine. You can also use only one output DDR flip flop connected to a OBUFDS that will output a differential signal on two pins.

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Sylvain Munaut schrieb:

Sylvain

what you wrote is an 'uups' ?

most DDR memory do not use differential signalling?

Antti

Antti

The OP question was "How do you set up a differential DDR output clock?" So I guessed what he wanted to do is send the clock from the FPGA to the DDR, using the internal clock driving a DDR IOB flip flop.

And most DDR chips have a differential clock, so either you use two DDR flip flops with inverted inputs, or a single one and a differential iob driver.

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Here's a Verilog implementation to output my PClk (Virtex 4):

ODDR pclkff(.Q(PClkO), .C(PClk), .CE(1'b1), .D1(1'b1), .D2(1'b0), .R(1'b0), .S(1'b0)); OBUFDS pclk0 (.O(PClkOP), .OB(PClkON), .I(PClkO));

I assign the IO attributes in the .ucf

--
Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity

I guess my confusion is that when you go to the FPGA Editor one sees an OSERDES box near the output pin and not the set of registers you see in a Spartan.

This is a differential output for an xclk Camera Link interface, if that matters. Not a memory device.

Brad Smallridge aivision

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

Sylvain Munaut schrieb:

uups I need a vaccation.

clk pins are different story, I missed that in oringal post

Antti

Reply to
Antti

You may still instantiate an ODDR primitive followed by an OBUFDS. The OSERDES is a superset of ODDR, so instantiating the ODDR will set up the OSERDES as an ODDR.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Neilson